1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keith Olberman is a Big Douche

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 13, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sorry to threadjack, but would someone please put Boom out of his misery?

As I type this 9 of the 11 threads at the top of this page were started by SportsJournalists.com's Knuckledragger-In-Chief.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Unreal. Just absurd. I hope The Post prints more stories like the one of that chick who had the bad hookup with Olberman.

I love his politics, and his intellect.

But he's such a twatwafflian, it is almost all moot. Total dick.

And the worst part is, you actually get the feeling HE BELIEVES HIS OWN BS!! That's really disturbing.

3. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

must......avoid..............thread............ugggggg.....

4. markvid

markvid Guest

This from Countdown last night:

"This from a man who believed he and his on-air staff were entitled to make sexual, racial, ethnic, or homophobic jokes about anybody and everybody...

A man who reduced women staffers at MSNBC to tears, and conned one into coming on the air and saying embarrassing things about her co-workers, which led to her dismissal by the company.

A man whose ethics were so high, that, in the NBC case at least, the traditionally distant nature of corporate America had to listen to the better angels of its nature, when virtually all the employees of a network and an entire news division said 'we have understood that you haven't fired him the last 10,000 times, but you have to do it now.'"

He's now worried about the treament of other staffers?
    Ask Suzy Kolber what a joy it was to work with him.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

It's not unusual for management to ask talent what they might think of hiring a prospective host or writer, and sometimes management does this because they might find out things they wouldn't know otherwise.

I don't know that Olberman's comments about O'Reilly have ever been factually wrong, and O'Reilly is big enough to defend himself and that can stand or fall on the merits.

All that said, I have never been a fan of Olberman. I don't know if I'd say a big douche, but I would say an annoying know-it-all. I can recall watching him and getting the feeling that he believed he was the only person in the world with a knowledge and sense of history. That he was smarter than everybody else and the rules didn't apply to him. I never understood what the big deal was and why everybody thought he made such a difference hosting SportsCenter.... hey, you tune in to find out the scores and get updated on the news... some people might have a little more flair, but if you are getting the news and scores, mission accomplished.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

That was exactly my thought when I heard what he said.

His ego must have helped him forget that.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's fairly well documented that one of the reasons Keith and ESPN parted ways was that he was one of the few on-air talents to go to management and say, "Put a stop to the sexual harassment of females low on the pay scale. Now."

The fact that his ego sent Kolber running into the bathroom in tears a few times, when they were essentially equals, is clearly not the same thing as Don Imus berating his female underlings, harassing the shit out of them until they quit. It's perplexing that some people are silly, or misinformed, enough to think so.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

He definitely deserves a great deal of respect for this. That is a very laudable action.

9. boots

boots New Member

I saw a full Keith Olberman show for the first time last night. It had interesting points.
    To me, it's like he's a comedian trying to be a newsman trying to be a sports fan. He did the same crap at ESPN. He's Eugene Levy, the comic actor. In fact, they might be separated at birth.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Man, I never thought about the Levy comparison. Very nice!

Yep, he's a comedian trying to do news.

Which is why I went apeshit when he started pouting about not getting a call-in for the CBS News gig.

Keith - you're a goofball, that's your typecast, like Boomer Berman.

I.e., no one takes you seriously. YOU made it that way.

Thus, you won't be getting any legit news gigs. Sure, you can have a 'news' program on a network whose viewership is roughly that of the local drive-in theater's, but a big network isn't going 'all-in' on a cornball like you, sorry.

11. Rok -- Like him or don't like him, but he's a serious broadcaster. If you don't believe it, watch NBC's coverage of the 2008 cycle.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

He is when he wants to be.

The problem for him is, he's played 'goofball' so much, it's hard to shed that label, like 'Schwamy' Berman.

Fenian, I love his politics. I love what he brings to the table, intellect-wise. But if he keeps doing the 'jack-of-all-trades' thing, he can't get all pissy when he gets passed over.

He's a great voice for liberals when he's on his game.

When he's off his game, he sounds like somebody's annoying, baseball-card-collecting Uber-geek younger brother. A goofball, Democrat version of George Will.

Draft saved Draft deleted