1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

keith moon movie project

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Didn't stop Kevin Spacey from playing Bobby Darin ...

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Moon was the character of all characters, a walking, instant party. Would certainly enjoy a biopic on him, but this is a case where even the cinematic fantasy played on screen could never measure up to what transpired in real life.

This has been something that's been floating out there for a while, so I'd be surprised to see it come to fruition.

Was thinking Johnny Depp would be a better choice to play Moon.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Always thought a Brian Jones biopic would have been a huge winner: swinging London in the 60s, huge rock and roll band, model girlfriend stolen by bandmate, plummet into drug use, death.

I believe one was made in England earlier this decade and to say it barely resonated would be a horrid overstatement.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mike Myers would be an abomination and an insult to rock and roll.
    Obtaining music rights for a film about a musician whose contemporaries aren't dead yet is a ringtailed bitch, especially for a rock band. Not always Kumbayah about money, those former 60s kids.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I got to see The Who in '76, a couple years before Moon's death.

Was the greatest concert I've ever seen.

Still is.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Make a movie instead about the concert patron who got called up on stage to fill in on the drums when Moon once OD'd or drank himself into a stupor or whatever it was that happened.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Double J, that was at the Cow Palace in San Francisco and would be an outstanding idea for a movie. Get yourself an agent, STAT.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Threadjacking here...

Ran into old friend Christy Lemire recently (she's the AP movie critic) and she says Moon is the best movie of the year so far. It was made for $5 million by Duncan Jones (AKA Zowie Bowie). It's not a drummer biopic.

http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/moon/

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Funniest story I heard about Keith Moon was on either Craig Ferguson or Jimmy Fallon a week or so ago. Apparently when Shaun Cassidy was 13 or 14 he ended up hanging out with Keith Moon. Moon ended up passed out on Cassidy's bed at home and Cassidy called up his friends. "Hey guys, guess who is passed out on my bed right now?"

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The movie was called 'Stoned.' It came out in 2005, and it was terrible.
    Although the guy who played Jones was a good look-alike.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Daltrey on a proposed Moon biopic:

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2009/11/05/11640766-sun.html

Draft saved Draft deleted