1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keith Foulke retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 16, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

TSP, in fairness, there were foulkes (groan) thinking Foulke could come back this year.

Buckweaver's right, he'll never buy another drink inside Route 128 again. RIP, Foulke's Career.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And I thought you did it just to finally put spnited over the edge. ;)

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Thanks for posting it. Would have gotten lost in the clutter, especially on deadline, otherwise.

How many fucking moderators do we need on this board, anyway?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Damn, I didn't realize Keith Foulke was suddenly a stop-the-presses story. What do you think... first-ballot Hall of Famer?

Of course, were he still with the Red Sox when he made this oh so important announcement, you flyover country boys would be bitching that just because it relates to the Red Sox or Yanks doesn't make it important.
    The guy has been useless for the past two years.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Apparently, that was just a bonus...

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

It's sports news, especially since it happened near deadline. That's the one reason I have this place up on my computer later at night while at work, in case something breaks late.

Of course, if D_B posts it, I won't even open the thread at this point...

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

As sure as the sun rising, TSP will blame Foulke's retiring on God and spnited will continue to exhibit how big of an asshole he is.

It's the little assurances in life that keep me going.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's very big news in Cleveland, especially coming on the heels of LeCharles Bentley's injury the first day of Browns training camp and subsequent retirement by his backup center, a greater Cleveland native. Last night, LeBron James scored 38 points, made 18-of-22 free throws after sucking at the line all year, and outdueled Kobe Bryant as the Cavs won in L.A. Yet all of cyberspace is blowing up with Keith Foulke news.

Grand scheme of things -- not big news. However, only one Cleveland media member (Mark Schwab of WTAM) had the story last night. I don't think it made any of the local papers this morning.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

LeBron vs. Kobe was far more entertaining and newsworthy than Keith Foulke -- mediocre, injured reliever -- retiring.

And seriously, Livestrong, who outside of Cleveland would consider Keith Foulke's retirement breaking news on deadline.
    One line in a baseball roundup, if that, in the rest of the world.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Here's the perfect storm of what newspapers are dealing with these days ...

Two biggest stories in Cleveland sports from last night: LeBron vs. Kobe and Keith Foulke's sudden retirement.

Neither made it into my edition of The Plain Dealer this morning.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

If Keith Foulke's "sudden" retirement was the 2nd biggest story in Cleveland sports yesterday, then Cleveland is more of a sports wasteland than I thought.

12. TheSportsPredictor

ESPN.com places Foulke third in its sports headlines box at the moment. CBSSportsline.com has it second. FoxSports.com has the Cavs/Lakers game second and the Foulke story fifth in its headlines.

New York Times sports headlines today: Mike Mussina rips on Carl Pavano; Mets reliever Scott Schoeneweis is superstitious!

L.A. Times top sports headlines today: Wow, Lakers and Cavs; UCLA and USC basketball games

Chicago Tribune top sports headlines today: Scottie Pippen wants to make a comeback; Kerry Wood falls in a hot tub

Miami Herald top sports headlines today: Tim Hardaway still hates gay people, just not out loud anymore; Jeff Gordon penalized in Daytona 500

Draft saved Draft deleted