1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kei Igawa -- The Lost Yankee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 23, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ok, I take back what I said about Garcia. Still not keen on Colon, even though he's fourth or fifth in the rotation right now.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Colon's been better than Garcia.

Before he got hurt, he was light out. And, his last start was good.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, but with how beastly fat Colon remains, it's always just a matter of when he gets hurt, not if. (For the record though, I still think the Yankees make the playoffs even if they have to go to a patchwork rotation. That lineup is still pretty solid, and they'll make some moves if needed at the trade and waiver trade deadline to add pieces.)

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

YF is right on this one. Those two have helped keep the rotation afloat to this point. There's still a good chance they falter late in the season, but to this point they have been good.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maybe this was discussed elsewhere, but I heard someone say on a recent Yankee broadcast that the reason so many Japanese pitchers have failed in MLB is because the U.S. baseball is larger than the ball used in Japan, and they can't throw as effectively.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did he make 26 starts in three seasons because he sucked ... or because he was hurt?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Injuries mostly. But he also lost a lot of respect from his teammates when he covered up a rib injury that he sustained in car accident and didn't tell the team until they were ready to bring him off the DL.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

He was injured, but his stats were crap.

2005: 4-6, 4.77 ERA in 17 starts
    2006: Didn't pitch
    2007: 1-0, 4.76 ERA in two starts
    2008: 4-2, 5.77 ERA in seven starts

And there was the whole injury coverup Baron mentioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted