1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kei Igawa -- The Lost Yankee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 23, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times is the best sports section in the country.

That this isn't universally understood is a shame.

They consistently find and tell compelling stories.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That was a really good read.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

perhaps 'cause they know he's the japanese version of a southpaw ed whitson? ??? ??? ???

4. Yes.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Remember when the Yankees decided Carl Pavano was a big giant pussy who was faking half his injuries?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

what i recall most about this guy was that the yanks signed him 'on the rebound' after losing the dice-k sweepstakes to the bosox. i also recall that NO ONE thought he was anything CLOSE to the calibre prospect dice-k was. dice-k was seen as a front-end starting pitcher; this guy a no. 4 or 5-type.

once he convinced them he wasn't, i think the yanks gave up on him entirely. no one ever looked at him as a stopper. and they weren't going have to pay this guy for being a middle-reliever and simply remind them at every turn that they blew it. in their minds, better out of sight and thus out of mind.

they're a cold-hearted bunch

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When you're sitting on their Scrooge McDuck-calibre reserve of greenbacks, you can make a ton of mistakes . . . and Cashman and the Brain Trust have made quite a few.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The embarrassment factor is no doubt a major part of this scenario. Never underestimate the scale of the egos involved.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

A great story, deep inside the guy's life in a weird sort of exile. I think I could have used a bit more from his team-mates than one line from a catcher saying he will crack a joke in a poker game.

If the Yankees couldn't find a trade for him (even picking up a piece of his contract), why the hell wouldn't the Yankees try to buy him out?

YHS, etc

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The article gets at the luxury tax implications of having him on the roster.

Hadn't thought of that before.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who cares? The Yankees have an unlimited payroll.

An Un-Lim-It-Ed Payroll. Infinite.

They could sign 500 Kei Igawas, hand 'em the cash, send em out the door, and they wouldn't give a shit.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

True. But he's been in the U.S. for a couple of years now, and has somewhat acclimated himself to the country. It's not like when he was first thrown in the deep end, and sunk.

From what the story read, it sounds like he would like a second chance. Seeing the fact that the Yankees just called up some guy with a 6 ERA, and if Igawa gets healthy, why not give hima shot?

Draft saved Draft deleted