1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keg at work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I work at a university and I walk in from lunch today. The alumni people downstairs say, "Hey wait, we need your help." So I stop, find out they want me to bring a keg into the house in which we work.
    They're having a going away party for an employee this afternoon. On company time (between 3-5 p.m. CDT for those interested), a keg will be tapped for all to enjoy the crisp, refreshing goodness inside.

I've been in the working world for a decade or so. I've never seen this or heard of it. I don't expect kegs every six months (I've been on the job about six months), but have you ever had an open keg on company time?

Side note: This is a very encouraging sign to support my decision to leave TV/Web and, ultimately, media in general.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Not an open keg ... but we just got back from a liquid lunch.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Drunk Flash on a Friday!! Whoo hoo! Where's Rodney Carrington!

Seriously, first paper I ever worked for had a tap in the basement lunchroom. Never saw it in use, but the fact that it was there told me it wasn't a virgin...

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

you never worked at a web company in the nineties, did you?

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

No.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Every Friday. Marketing is way more fun than journalism.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

We always toyed around with the idea of bringing a keg or a few cases to work at my old joint. There's an old conference room that no one really uses, and it's virtually dead there after 5 p.m. and completely empty on the weekends.

Sadly, we never did it.

8. Once, I worked at an "alternative" newspaper that was very often edited in the bar across the street.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

That's what I'm thinking today about PR-magazine.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

We never did a keg, but we have bought cases of beer for enjoyment during the working hour. Those were the days that I hoped to not receive any real work. The results could have been disasterous.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fridges stocked with 50 cent frozen burritos and cold beer. Ahh yes, I remember it well...

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A
    A few jobs ago worked at a publishing company where all marketing meetings were scheduled for 3:30 Friday afternoon at Scotland Yard, a pub in our building.

Came up with some great campaigns by about 6:00

Draft saved Draft deleted