1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping you from voting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spup1122, Feb 1, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're only reading my last post.
    I covered voting above. Asking someone to stay away from a caucus and voting are two different issues.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I understand that caucusing isn't the same thing as voting in a general election, but I guess I don't understand how a company can punish a reporter for their party's decision on primary voting.

I know a caucus isn't the same thing as a vote, but it's the only option if you want to vote before the general election.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If another business told their employees they couldn't caucus, we'd be all over it like flies on shit, decrying the erosion of civil liberties. Why does the management at some papers think the erosion of civil liberties is any less when it's a newspaper doing it?

4. fishwrapper

It's a policy clearly spelled out in the biggest newsrooms in the country.
    I just don't know what else to state.

5. sportschick

That doesn't make it right.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

To vote in a primary in some states requires attending a caucus. So for all practical purposes, asking (or ordering) someone to stay away from a caucus equals asking (or ordering) them not to vote.
    At least that's my understanding. Is there a way to vote in the Colorado (or Iowa or Nevada) caucuses without attending the caucuses?

7. fishwrapper

So, you don't understand the reasoning?

8. fishwrapper

It differs for each state. You have a right to vote if the voting is held at the caucus site.
    You don't have a right to participate in the caucus. I don't understand the issue in the differentiation.

CAUCUS
    1. U.S. Politics.
    a. a meeting of party leaders to select candidates, elect convention delegates, etc.
    b. a meeting of party members within a legislative body to select leaders and determine strategy.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Have these publishers ever made a campaign contribution? My guess is hell yes. If it's a chain, they have a lobbyist in DC who BUNDLES contributions.
    If I was ordered not to participate in a caucus, I would disobey. And I'd be lawyered up plenty.

10. sportschick

Do I understand the reasoning? Yes. Do I think it's still a bullshit? Yes.

For an industry that bitches and moans about rights being taken away, we're run by a bunch of fucking hypocrites who won't think twice about doing to their employees the very things the paper bitches about on its pages.

11. fishwrapper

Ok. We've done this dance before. It's the same argument over and over.
    When was the last time Arthur Sulzberger, Jr.'s objectivity was questioned?
    Now, how about a reporter at the paper? Just so happens, TODAY!

The 8th and 15th Amendments do not protect your participation in a caucus. But, you go ahead and "be lawyered up plenty."
    What's the line? You can sue anyone for anything just to prove you can win nothin'.

That is, unless, you're hoping to go green light, red light in front of SCOTUS. With that, I wish you godspeed.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

People either trust your integrity or they don't. I think one reason this profession is universally distrusted is the phony-baloney attitude that we're above it all. Fairness and neutrality are not the same thing. I'm a citizen first. As for Arthur Sulzberger, his job is to keep reporters from printing lies on the front page, not freakin' telling them not to vote for MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted