1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping you from voting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spup1122, Feb 1, 2008.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I've heard a couple of times that publishers and editors are telling employees that they can't caucus. Is this technically telling people they can't vote?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2008/01/denver_post_editor_gives_some.php

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2008/01/john_temple_just_says_no_to_ca.php

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Sure seems that way.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I wish they'd tell me that for the sports polls I vote on.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It does seem at first glance as though any journalist who wants to could file suit and probably would have a case if his employer barred him or her from attending a caucus. After all, the Constitution does not make an exception in its voting rights amendments that says "everyone but journalists may vote."

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, sure, you can sue. But most people won't. Who wants to sue their boss? So it has the desired effect.
    Those memos probably aren't legally binding or anything. But if a big employer we cover systematically discouraged its workers from voting, we'd be all over that shit.
    Anyone know how papers in Iowa (where this must be an issue every four years) handle this?

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Quick procedural question, for those of us who live in a caucus-free state: Are caucuses public? Meaning, if I caucus for Hillary Clinton, does everyone know I caucused for her?

It's not a private vote, is it?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Generally it's not secret because you group together with fellow supporter of a particular candidate.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm doing this blind, not even reading the links above, but wasn't the point that the editor would PREFER that they don't caucus, but that he wouldn't absolutely stop them from doing so?

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

I could see why an editor would be concerned. And maybe I could see where somebody who covered politics maybe shouldn't participate in a public caucus.

However, somebody who is an assistant circulation manager or covers college sports or is an IT tech wouldn't have the coverage affected by their participation. And publishers certainly are involved in politics in a bigger way than any reporter would be.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Even so, it could present the seed of impropriety in the minds of the public. Even if it's the assistant circulation manager.

I could definitely see where a publisher wouldn't want his staff involved in this. However, I don't know what the answer is. It's a tricky one, for sure.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes on the first link.
    No on the second link.

Draft saved Draft deleted