1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping track of football stats

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FPH, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Good call on being on the field. To add on to your comments on the officials: you can usually get some good insight into an official's call in between plays. I've had great luck talking to them (sometimes even idle chit chat) in between plays, especially when the action is in the red zone away from the coaches.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

If a field is well-marked, working from the press box can be fine. Just don't pay attention to the PA guy, who invariably doesn't know the rules on yardage, favors the home team, and can't ID the players correctly (or won't ID the opposition). Plus, if you're on a tight deadline, you can write both at halftime and during the second half.

Agree with everything eise said, except I use names rather than numbers, and make sure those are correct before the game (a habit I picked up broadcasting).

Newcomers, by all means use an NFL game or two for practice. It's not hard, but it is the ultimate in detail work.

3. Hank_Scorpio

That's the cool thing with keeping stats. You could find 100 people and they would all do it 100 different ways. And not one of those ways would be incorrect.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If your stats are correct, and you have more than just two or three things recorded, then you are doing it the right way no matter what way you are doing it.

5. writingump

writingump Member

I should add this for the post's originator: If you do walk the sidelines, try to stay 3-4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I've found this gives a better angle on line play.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Between the 35s is tough.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's not unusual for two or three people to have different numbers from the same game. As long as I'm in the ballpark, I tend not to worry.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Not really. I'll stand in the defensive backfield, letting the play come to me. In between plays, I'll get right on the sideline, spot the ball and take a few steps back.

Just like when a team reaches fourth down and punts, I'll hustle down the sideline to line up with the punt returner, so I can get accurate punt and return yardage.

If there's a blocked punt, you can usually see it (or the coaches will have it).

It also helps to be in the defensive backfield for interceptions, not to mention you see the play coming and can get out of the way quickly if you have to.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I walk the sidelines, keep the play-by-play on a reporter's pad and total up when I get back to the newsroom. I can even shoot photos and video if need be. Another advantage is not having to work my way through the crowd to get down to the field after the game. That can be a real headache.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I have a pretty horrendous way of keeping PBP (I keep down, distance, line of scrimmage and write a one-line recap of what happened on a regulation size notebook) and total it up as I go so it looks something like this...

1st/10 C35 C10 runs right 3
    2nd/7 C38 C10-C81 pass to the right, C81 breaks four tackles, scores 62TD

At the end of each drive, I'll try to transfer those numbers on the far right into a running stat sheet but that's not always possible as I'm shooting just about every football game I cover.

I also put little stars next to things I might want to remember later, besides the obvious scoring plays. I've written stories on a tight deadline with this system so, while it looks amateurish and like poop overall, it's easy for me and it works for me which is all that matters.

Also, if you're doing your notes the right way (And there's really not a wrong way per se), you should be able to recreate any game just by looking at them. This goes for every sport but especially football.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Another tip: an actual scoresheet (there are plenty out there) helps a lot, keeping track and tabulating.

Walking the sidelines, I can have a legal pad on one side of a clipboard and my scoresheet on the other.

Jot down pbp, flip over and write the yardage for the play.

PBP
    2 4 36 24 dive 8 yards FD RUSH
    1 10 44 10 pass to 80 56 yds TD

Scoresheet

Rush
    30 5/5 2/7 10/17 -2/15 44/59 (circle runs or passes that are TDs).

And yea, there is no wrong way to do any of these.

12. Hank_Scorpio

crimsonace posted these one of the last times this came up. Similar to the ones I use, but mine are more horizontal.

Two versions:

Legal size:
    http://www.indianassa.org/files/FBstatslegal.pdf

Letter size:
    http://www.indianassa.org/files/FBstatsletter.pdf

Draft saved Draft deleted