1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping track of football stats

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FPH, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Greg Pickel

Greg Pickel Member

Good thread here.

I kept stats a few times while on the radio, though not often, as we have a guy who is damn good at it.

I don't have much to add, but like Devil 93 said, be double and triple sure you have the correct player that scored, and the correct way he scored. Never forget a few years back, a kid ran in a twenty yard touchdown to win the game, showed up in the paper the next morning as a fifteen yard reception to win. ::)

Keep the simple things, and try and make friends with the spotters/PA people in the press box who often may be able to help out with yardage or other similar questions. Goodluck!

2. FPH

FPH New Member

Sorry to bring this topic up again when it's obviously been discussed so many times before. But nonetheless, the advice has been great and will really come in handy here in a few weeks. When I've covered games in the past I tried to kinda keep track of stats on my own just to follow what was going on but always had official stats available to me after the game. This is the first time I'm totally relying on my statkeeping. It's starting to seem a little less intimidating, though. Thanks again, guys,

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Reminds me of another tip: Keep a running linescore and scoring sum on a separate sheet of paper. Makes sorting things out easier on deadline.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/Stats_Manuals/Football/2009ez.pdf

Here's the NCAA stat manual. I think most high school stat rules are the same as the college rules, especially in Massachusetts and Texas, which use NCAA playing rules.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You should do fine then. You do have some experience keeping track.

Just make sure you get each play down. Even if you can't add up the totals until halftime or after the game.

Also, don't worry about names when writing down play byplay. Go with numbers. Like 10 passes to 20, 13 yards. FD PASS

Just be sure you have updated rosters, so you can match names to numbers back at the office/pressbox.

6. One additional question in terms of stats:

How do you count an offensive play when there is a penalty on the play? For instance: A running back takes a handoff, gets three yards, but holding is called. Is that just a non-play in terms of the RB's stats?

What if the holding happens downfield after the RB has picked up 30 yards and the offense still gains field position despite the penalty? How do you include that in stats?

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Depends on where the foul is.
    If it's beyond the line of scrimmage, give the ballcarrier credit to the spot of the infraction. If it's behind the line of scrimmage, it's all penalty yards.

8. Nevermind. I understand now.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I have one page for the scoring summary, one page dedicated to keeping stats for each play broken into a line for QBs, another for WRs, another for RBs - I write the jersey number then a number for the yards gained on that play, I circle the number if it resulted in a first down.

Another big one is defensive plays...make sure you know who pulled down the interception or recovered the fumble. Those are often game-changers and you want to have it right.

Finally, I have a page for highlights...I don't bother scratching out sheets of play-by-play, I just make notes of the big moments as they happen. Even at that, only one-third of those notes usually make the final story. For me it saves time in the writing process if I've already filtered out the noise (3-yard runs).

Good luck with it and have fun. The best way to get better is experience...see what works for you and go with it. You'll learn your own little tricks as you go.

If you are really nervous about it, watch an early-season game on TV and practice that way, then check the stats afterward and see if you are at least close. No one's looking for perfection in prep stat-taking, but you need to be close.

10. writingump

writingump Member

I have one page for the home team, another for the visitors and a third for time of possession. I've found I can keep individual rushing, passing and receiving stats but that it's too much of a pain to keep tackles as well. If someone has a big game, I'll ask the coaches how many tackles they had.
    I also keep first downs (R for rushing, Pa for passing, Pe for penalty), fumbles, penalties, punts, interceptions, punt and kickoff returns on separate lines on each team page. Near the bottom, I jot down scoring plays with time listed at the end of each line.
    At the top of my page, I'll jot down halftime numbers in case there's a big turnaround. I'll draw a slash at halftime on individual rushing and passing numbers, as well as miscellaneous team stats, for that same reason.
    I also walk the sideline because I've found it's easier to keep accurate stats on the field. I try to walk each sideline for a half but if I know there's a coach who doesn't like anyone in his box, I'll stay out of his sideline. Plus you can hear the by-play between players and coaches, see which teams are organized and disciplined, and get the dope on any officiating controversy.
    I should add I've been using this system for 15 years now and close to 200 games, so I've had plenty of practice at it. No matter what you choose, good luck and hope you find a system which allows you to get details without getting lost or bogged down.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

writingump is absolutely correct...walking the sidelines is the way to go. You get a more accurate count on your stats and you get a much better feel for the game. I can't tell you how many insider items I've been able to include simply because I was closer to the action. You're not going to pick that up sitting in a press box somewhere. Endure the rainy nights and stay down on the field.

I usually walk the side with the chain crew...it gives you a better feel for yardage.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you keep an accurate play-by-play, the stats come easily at the end. You can add them up at halftime and as you get more expereicned keep running stats wth the play-by-play for the second half. Or just add it all up at the end of the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted