1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping the blues alive in north Mississippi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Nov 11, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mrs. TBF sent me this link earlier. It's about a group of kids (10, 14 and 16) from Tupelo who placed second in the International Blues Contest in Memphis. Their dad got them into the blues and made them guitars. Now, they're on a world tour, and they're album is the number one blues download on iTunes.

They're pretty damn good.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27217407/

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=156527818

It makes my heart feel good that there's still interest in the blues -- especially in north Mississippi, where the blues musicians are becoming fewer and farther between.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Thanks for the links. I love blues music and it is really good to see youngsters play blues music. It's definitely an art that needs a new generation to keep it afloat! Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and one more thing, wanted to say thanks for your service, TBF, on this Veterans Day.

3. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Robert Johnson will be pleased … even if it's a tad hot where he is, or so the story goes.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I read an article in The New York Times on this guy last week. He's 93, and one of (if not the) last living links to Robert Johnson. He's going to be at Antone's in Austin the day after Christmas. Mrs. Flip and I are already planning the trip.

http://www.davidhoneyboyedwards.com/

5. Jeebus. Honeyboy's still alive? I saw him in Chicago about 100 years ago, it seems.
    Nice link, TBF. Does the heart good.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

One day when I was 16 and really into blues I was going to help my dad with a landscaping job and he told me to bring my guitar. So when we get to the house we were going to be working at it turned out to be the home of one Robert Cray and I actually got to play with him. One of the coolest days of my, somewhat misspent, youth.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Way cool, man.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Great link, TBF. The oldest one's got a hell of a blues voice.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Yeah, it was pretty fun. I have seen Robert Cray live a bunch of times and he never disappoints.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As terminally uncool as I am, I remain forever grateful to have spent a night at the Subway Lounge n Jackson before it went the way of the dodo.

Draft saved Draft deleted