1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping it real

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 9, 2007.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The thing a lot of people don't realize about journalism is that it really is good training for other business.

Every business, for instance, requires and rewards solid communication skills. The ability to be inquisitive can help in a variety of occupations. And a well-calibrated bullshit detector is a must for any manager in any line of work.

I would suggest that any well-educated person interested in journalism pursue it with all necessary vigor, and that if the time comes to make more money doing something else, to keep those options open.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Just be realistic with them about the hours, pay, bullshit from parents or athletes and everythng else they have to deal with.

Most of the kids of sportswriters and other journalists I know do not go into this business. I'd say it's mostly for the money.

3. boots

boots New Member

No question the communication skills that you acquire will help you in other professions or jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted