1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping it real

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 9, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

In light of the recent crap that has been happening in places like Greensboro, N.C., would you honestly advise a senior in high school or college to pursue journalism as a profession?

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Wouldn't try and guide a lost soul this way, but if he/she was already considering this business, I would tell them to go for it, but beware.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My niece just finished her sophomore year in high school and her second year on the school paper. I believe that if she continues to want to be a journalist, she'd be a good one. If I thought she'd suck at it, I would try to talk her out of it. She's heard the good and the bad from me, but if it's what fulfills her, she's going to do OK. There's always going to be a market for good, young, cheap talent.

4. boots

boots New Member

I know what you're saying about good young cheap talent Frank. But at some point, they become old and that's when they become "expendable." When you and I broke in, longevity was possible. You can't say that any more and that's sad.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm optimistic journalists can still have strong careers if they steer toward areas that demand (and reward) specific technical expertise. The ones who have already realized this and have adapted will never be without a job in the media unless they choose to get out.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Us youngin's don't have to worry. We've got all the computer tallent, even if online is the next big thing (whatever that means. Some day we'll know), we'll adapt fine.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yes, I would. And I have.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I have no qualms recommending it ... if for no other reason than there are many more entry points into the business than a daily newspaper.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Reel E. Reel didn't start this thread?

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

:)

11. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

My brother's in college journalism right now.

I tell him he'll have no problem getting an entry-level job somewhere when he graduates. Try the business for two years. If you love it, keep at it. If not, look at it as a valuable life experience and move on to something else.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Shouldnt this be on the journalism board?

Draft saved Draft deleted