1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping football stats for preps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MaSeNE, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Because I'm not right up against deadline after a game, I usually add everything up after the game s over.
    Sometimes people ask me for someone's stats during a game or right after a game and I usually tell them I haven't added it up yet.
    Is that a bad thing?
    Should I be able to tell anyone, at any given moment, what any player's stats are?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

No, of course not. Your job comes first. Finish that and then help out people if you want.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Tell them they can get the stats in your story online or in the paper. Your work has value, so make 'em pay for it.

4. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Is someone's stats really your work, though?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes. You are compiling them.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I always add them up at halftime, so I'll have a ballpark figure I'll throw out there if they ask in the second half. If I don't know, I just politely tell them what he had at halftime and that I haven't added up the rest yet.
    There's no need to be a dick. If you have them, and you know them off the top of your head, throw it out there. Otherwise be polite and tell them you don't have them added up yet.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Some newspapers and radio stations wage war and treat one another like shit.

That's stupid. Let the owners play those games.

There are times I'll ask the radio guys about a play and other times, they'll ask me. We share info. I plug their station in my preview box, and they drop my name on the air all the time. I even put on the headsets and discuss the line of storms during delays (weather fanatic).

My scoresheet allows me to know totals for rushing, passing and receiving instantly. Others, such as first downs, fumbles, etc., I add up at halftime and end of game.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What about using an Excel spreadsheet?

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I was referring to the general public/readers. It's no different from when I covered sentencings or city council meetings: if you want the info, buy the product.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, but it's the same thing, Bradley. If you make yourself inaccessible to the public, you're not doing your "brand" any favors. It doesn't hurt a thing to let them know that Billy Hotshot has 134 yards in the third quarter. Hey, you'd tweet that, right? So why guard it like a company secret? :)

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

If someone missed a play for whatever reason, and you were asked who scored that touchdown or caught that pass, would you tell them they can find out in the next day's paper? To me, that's no different and a terrible way to deal with a simple question.

HandsomeHarley likes this.
  12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

My scoresheet is in Excel.

Draft saved Draft deleted