1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keeping a hand in the game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 3, 2007.

1. After getting my LSAT score back, I'm probably going to end up leaving this business as a full-timer. There are many reasons, including:

1. The state of the industry.
    2. The fact that, truth be told, I'm a long-form, narrative journalism guy, and there's little room for that kind of work in mid-sized dailies such as the one I work for.

This is less of a, "Should I leave the biz?" thread as it is a question of how one might keep writing even if he has a different day job. And I don't just mean a blog for 10 friends and family, but real nonfiction or journalism. Stringing? Books?

I'm already starting to get the lectures from people about how I'm a writer, not a lawyer/businessperson/etc., and I want to explain that I don't plan to stop writing. But it's so hard to convey.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do what you think is best for you and fuck what everyone else thinks. It's you, not them.
    Good luck.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

1) I suggest PMing PopeDirkBenedict. He's in law school, and I believe he's currently stringing. He might be able to give suggestions on staying in the game by stringing.

And since I saw what your LSAT score was, congrats. Being a writer doesn't mean you have to work as one. You can still write without it being your primary income.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm missing out on all kinds of info by not being a subscriber.

5. sportschick

You're not missing anything. It was on the law school thread on Anything Goes.

6. Understood. But I still personally want to keep in the game - particularly in case it ever picks up again, I wouldn't hesitate to try to get back in. But for the sake of my family, etc., etc., I don't think it's fair to keep fighting for nickel raises right now with no backup plan.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Damn. I was certain you'd laugh.

8. It was a 169, FYI.

9. sportschick

I only get obvious humor. I'm a serious gal ;)

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've seen enough stuff written by law students/lawyers to know they will always need people who can write coherently in that profession. If you really love to write, as opposed to covering sports, see if you can get a job doing legal writing.

11. I'm thinking:

1. Political speech writer
    2. Literary agent

12. Johnny Dangerously

I think I'd enjoy giving the first one a try. Where and how does one apply for such work?

Draft saved Draft deleted