1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keep my friend in your prayers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Gary Fauber has worked for close to 20 years at Register Herald in Beckley, W.Va. He's been the beat writer for Marshall football for about 15 years. Super nice guy.
    He's my age, with a wife and three kids.
    Monday morning he passed out at home. He was taken to the local hospital and then transferred to Charleston.
    They found 4 cm mass on his brain.
    He had surgery today and will know more in the coming days.
    Gary has been AMAZINGLY positive about the whole thing. I hope those good thoughts lead to good things for him.
    And if you all are so inclined, drop the guy upstairs a note for Gary and his family. Consider it your Christmas gift to me. Please.
  2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ugh, surgery on Christmas Day. But you've got it. And those of you with kids, loved ones... go hug them. Thanks for the news.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Will do.
  4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Done, for you and for Gary and his family.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Prayers sent.
  6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Any updates? Hope the entire family is doing alright, especially Gary.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers.
  8. Gary is having surgery this week to remove the mass... The good news: is doctors think its benign. He said the thing could have been in there since he was a kid, which would explain is love of Baseball, the Braves and Sherman Hemsley.
    The bad: is they have to leave some of it in there, because its against his brain stem.
    He remains amazingly upbeat, but he has several weeks of recovery ahead of him.
    Vombatus likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thank god they don't think it's a glioblastoma. Colleague got one of those and was dead within ten months.
Draft saved Draft deleted