1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keep an eye/ear out for Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just got this:

The full-page ad has a big headline: The Tampa Tribune is here to stay. The rest of the page goes to say "The presses are running. Don't miss an edition."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So that was not a planned house ad?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't say what days the presses are running, or how many editions you would miss in a week if you didn't read it.

4. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Was it Pearlman who said something about newspapers trying to be TV? Here's something called Washington Post Live:

Not to pick on her (or him), but TV does TV better. The Washington Post does The Washington Post better. But I guess this is the future, and the future is now. Writing good stories isn't enough anymore.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The meeting, I'm told, was to emphatically drive home the point that this is NOT TRUE. They are not folding, not cutting back, not going Web only six days a week.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I believe they are not folding. I believe they are not going web only six days a week. I don't believe they are not cutting back.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What else are they going to say? ::)

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rumors can be so ugly.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or accurate.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Or both in this case.

11. idiotwind

idiotwind New Member

Corporations usually deny they are shutting down an operation until the day they do it.

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

A confluence of curious events:

On Sunday, a Tallahassee Democrat columnist, while writing about the newspaper industry, made passing reference to the fact that he had heard the Tribune was about to kill the print product altogether, but he didn't source it. I happen to know the columnist and he's a good guy and not usually prone to reporting incorrect information. Here's the link: http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008812070304

Meanwhile, here's the text of the full-page ad in today's Tribune:

THE TAMPA TRIBUNE
    IS HERE TO STAY.

THE HEART OF OUR COMMUNITY LIVES TRHOUGH THE NEWSPAPER YOU HOLD IN YOUR HANDS. WITH MORE THAN A CENTURY OF GREAT JOURNALISM DEFINING OUR SUCCESS WE ARE TAMPA’S #1 NEWSPAPER.

IT’S OUR RESPONSIBILITY AND OUR COMMITMENT TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THE KIND OF LOCAL NEWS AND INFORMATION THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR COMMUNITY, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK.

THE PRESSES ARE RUNNING.
    DON’T MISS AN EDITION.

THE TAMPA TRIBUNE
    TAMPA’S #1 NEWSPAPER

The whole "vote of confidence" thing ... never a good thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted