1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KCsj.com help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Nov 4, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'm actually from Missouri and have spent a lot of time in KC, but not really any time downtown, so that's what this question is about.

I'm going to the Sprint Center tomorrow night for the first of 9 Garth Brooks concerts with my dad and sister. We're planning on getting downtown about 3 hours early and parking and then eating. What restaurants are around the new Sprint Center? The only things I can find online are stuff that's opening mid-November.

KCSportsJournalists.com! Help!

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You are going to nine Garth Brooks concerts?

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

No, I'm going to the first of the nine he's playing in KC this week.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Jason Whitlock recommends Bazookas.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's the way I read it too 'gola.

Not sure what's near the building, but if you have a car it doesn't matter -- get to Arthur Bryant's or Gates for BBQ, and you'll never regret it. When I'm in KC for work, I eat almost nothing but BBQ.

Great, now I'm drooling. :)

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I've been to both and love them both, but my sister hates bbq. She lives in Overland Park, but never really leaves the OP, so she doesn't know much and my dad, who grew up in KC, hasn't been downtown since just after he and my mom were married more than 25 years ago.

Believe me, if Gates or Bryants was an option, I'd be there in a heartbeat, but this time they're not.

That's why I'm looking for things within walking distance...because we want to be able to park at the Sprint Center and walk to wherever to eat so we're not dealing with traffic right before the show.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

If walking is the case, don't forget your kevlar.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Tell your sister to bring along a Power Bar for herself and shut the hell up. :D

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

SO tempting! :)

Unfortunately, since she's the one who got us the tickets, I have to be nice until I'm actually in the Sprint Center and she can't take my ticket away. :)

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I haven't lived there since college, and honestly, I don't know if there are any places in the immediate vicinity of the Sprint Center. The hopes is that some places start popping up with the arena there.

I agree with everybody else. Tell your sister to hush, and make a beeline for Bryant's. Or Gates, if you prefer... just make sure you're in line ahead of Whitlock.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I ate at Arthur Bryant's the last time I was in KC. The food was decent but didn't live up to the hype, and the "ambience" was awful. Unless you like flies.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I know they're planning to build a lot of stuff down there, but I don't think most of it opens for a few more months. Looks like there will be a few bars a part of that already open, but not many.

There's a very good Mexican place up the street, Mannys, at 207 Southwest Blvd, about 7 blocks south and four blocks east of the Sprint Center. The street runs diagonal to the regular grid, but head south from the Sprint Center until you hit 19th. Turn west (right) and you'll hit/see SW Blvd. Manny's is just a block or so at that point.

There's a restaurant called The Cashew a little closer, maybe 5 blocks straight south of the Sprint Center on at 20th and Grand. (Grand runs right by the Center). That place has nice food, a good place to grab a drink, too. There's a Paddy O'Quigley right across the street from there, which is a little more of a sports bar. A Hereford House is also across the street. That's a higher-end steak place.

Finally, if you go a couple blocks north and west from the Sprint Center to 9th and Wyandotte there's John's Upper Deck. It's a little more of a bar than a restaurant, but if it's a nice day (looks like it might get cold) they have a huge deck on their roof that's fun to hang out on. If it's at all warm, it'd be fun. If it's not sit-outside weather, the inside is shitty, so I would avoid it.

That's all I can think of ... I'm sure there are more. I haven't trooped around the Sprint Center much yet, but frequent some of those others place sometimes.

Have fun. I'm not much of a country fan, but I wish I had tickets. Should be a great show.

Draft saved Draft deleted