1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KCMO to shut down nearly half of schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 11, 2010.

1. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The two issues are definitely not mutually exclusive. The district is on its third Superintendent in the last 7-8 years, I believe.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kansas City spent years dealing with an extraordinarily expensive desegregation order, which could have very well led to the excess capacity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_v._Jenkins

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Haven't lived in the Kansas City area for 11 years now, but when I did live there, "nobody" went to KCMO schools. I went to a Catholic high school on the Kansas side. Several KCMO kids went there. Heck, pretty much every girl I dated lived in KCMO. I'm sure several others in KCMO that had the means ended up going to other private schools in Kansas, or suburban schools in Missouri, such as Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Raytown, etc., and continue to do so today.

The schools in KCK seem to be in decent shape. I can honestly say that I knew very few people that went to a KCMO school, but I knew several that went to KCK schools.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

18,000 students in public school in a city the size of Kansas City does seem exceptionally low.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I wondered that, too. Turns out KC is served by 16 different school districts, the result of annexed areas getting to keep their independent schools. So the KC school district serves the poorest urban core, similar to Indianapolis, where the center city district serves the same purpose, surrounded by eight districts in areas it annexed.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB20001424052748704349304575116102677062556.html

Looks like KC's enrollment drop also comes because some schools were allowed to secede into other districts, and students were lost to private charter schools. Interesting, too, that the board member pushing for the closings was the same person who in the past had sued to keep funding up.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

You'd still have to live in the correct district to go to any of the Lee's Summit or Blue Springs schools - neither of those areas can reasonably be considered KCMO. Technically, our house was in the Kansas City city limits, but we were in the Raytown district. I assume you went to either Aquinas or Miege?

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Not Aquinas. ;)

I don't know what transferring to other districts is like there, but based on my neck of the woods, if you want to go to another district that you don't live in, it's not tough. I would guess a lot of families who live in KCMO districts do not go to KCMO schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted