1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star's Sam Mellinger on Dick Vitale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brandonsneed, Sep 20, 2011.

1. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Thought some folks might like to read this interview with the Kansas City Star's Sam Mellinger, who recently wrote a great profile of Dick Vitale.

I was amazed that he wrote it in two hours. I mean, I've turned around two-hour features for papers before, but I thought this story was too good to have been done that quickly. Figured maybe he wrote it in a morning. But two hours? Holy crap.

http://www.heygoodcall.com/journal/2011/9/20/interview-the-kansas-city-stars-sam-mellinger-on-dick-vitale.html

Update 9/20/11 at 5 p.m.

As per people much smarter than me, here is Mellinger's story:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/07/3127666/vitale-crusading-for-the-young.html#ixzz1YVW22V2H

And I've changed the bit.ly link to the HGC link.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.heygoodcall.com/about-goodcall/

Anyone ever seen brandonsneed and Matt Stephens in the same room together?

3. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Not sure I get it. Who's Matt Stephens? He posts around here, right? That's about all I know.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone who has met Dick Vitale who doesn't like him as a person.

And -- as has been stated numerous times -- Vitale is very good and generous with the local media.

5. Yup.
    He once bought me a lap dance!

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I get tired of his "Dookie V" schtick. That said, I've heard nothing but positive things about him away from the broadcast table.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's a prince!

8. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Something something, shameless self-promotion, something something.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Why wasn't the KC Star story linked?

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/07/3127666/vitale-crusading-for-the-young.html#ixzz1YVW22V2H

A bit dishonest to link us to your fledgling site -- hence the reference to Matt Stephens (and biofile!) -- for your take on someone else's work instead of us giving us Mellinger's direct link. And you didn't need to use the bit.ly link (unless of course you thought people wouldn't click it if it was the HGC link).

Most web site links will fit here fine without running them through bit.ly.

Don't use us to build up hits/visits to your site, although I doubt I'm the only one who had no clue HGC existed before I clicked the link (same thing with biofile).

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

This.

11. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Ahhh, I see. Sorry, didn't mean to be shady or anything. I've fixed it all now, as you can see. For what it's worth, none of that was intentional. Just copied-and-pasted the bit.ly link from my Twitter feed; wasn't trying to be sneaky. Also, just didn't think to include the Mellinger piece. All innocent mistakes. I was in a bit of a hurry and thought of you all here and felt like sharing.

Of course, the extra clicks are nice, but that's not my main motivation for posting here. Mostly, I thought journalists would like hearing what other journalists had to say about the subjects they're covering.

Anyway. Sorry if I broke etiquette or something. Carry on.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Surprised newspaper websites themselves don't do more of this. I'm amazed by how much people seem to like the "inside baseball" of our jobs -- especially when it comes to how we put together stories or, in tv, how things get put on the air.

I was doing a radio show once where a caller asked how between-periods interviews work. Now, anyone who's ever watched HNIC knows no matter how hard we try, they can be rather mindless. But, I was explaining who gets first choice when there are several different outlets working the game and the next 10 or so callers wanted to build on that and other parts of the show. They really like that kind of stuff.

So, when someone comes up with a great feature, don't understand why it's places like Brandon's blog or The Big Lead who do the good interviews/behind the scenes pieces about it. (Cue the Fozzy Bear photo. I don't care, I like the site.)

Draft saved Draft deleted