1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star Sports Editor Lawton resigns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So are we bitter racists or bitter plus-size haters?

(Oh, and one reason most people won't admit to reading this site is because most people don't read this site, given that there are about 6 billion people on the planet, Scoopy.)

2. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Ace, thanks. I couldn't have paid money for a better example.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I still want my check.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Scoop: I didn't agree with you that Whitlock "made" the K.C. Star.

Small newspaper: Nope (not even a newspaper anymore, but a few of the stops before that were not only not small, there were none bigger).

Hack: I don't think so, but others will have to judge.

Here's the only way to interpret some of what you've written: That anybody who has a bone to pick with some aspect of Jason's work -- writing, reporting, dealing with people, whatever -- must be doing so because they're lily white and don't like anybody who isn't.

So if you extend that argument, none of us in that boat can never criticize Jason for anything.

I hope it goes without saying how preposterous that thinking is in our business.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did he really just play the race card to defend Whitlock not filing a column in months!?! Did he really just say we're all jealous because we're wondering why he's MIA on the Big 12 stuff!?!

Really!?!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you will go back over some threads, I bet you can find some hateful words about scrawny, white columnists, too.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That never happens. I've never seen a spike in circulation when a new columnist arrives or a decline when one leaves. You can't even say Royko because the Chicago Tribune poached a bunch of high-profile Sun-Times people at the time, including Ann Landers, who probably had more readers than Royko and certainly more than Whitlock ever will have. Readers buy for the package. Whitlock, like him or not, is just a part of that package and in the bottom-line sense he is no more important than any other part. I challenge you to provide any statistical evidence to the contrary regarding Whitlock or, for that matter, any sports columnist in the history of American journalism.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Not even Blackie?

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, brother...

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fiction? If you're not 100 percent sure, didn't you just slander him?

Pot ... Kettle.

You're being neither fair nor balanced. You said Whitlock MADE the Star what it is, and that's patently untrue. He was part of a group effort. Even you said Dale Bye hired Whitlock, so that means some credit must go to Bye unless in your crazy world Bye's decision didn't mean beans.

Nice. Very nice.

If you're going to play the race card, at least be man enough to use the word racist or racism instead of beating around the bush.

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

So is my Whitlock bobblehead worthless now?

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

At least they've bumped Sam (and Blair) above Jason on the website.

Draft saved Draft deleted