1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star Sports Editor Lawton resigns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And the 1985 Royals!

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This. And what Whitlock gets away with is incredible. Just happy the Star promoted Sam Mellinger.

3. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Man, you guys are crazy. Jason Whitlock, whether you like him or not, is an incredible talent. He made the Kansas City Star section. Before he arrived, it was a boring rag that just plain dreadful. Not long after he arrived, the Star's section became a regular APSE award winner. I would agree that Poz had something to do with that, but Jason brought attention to the section like it had never had before. I also don't believe there is any truth to Holly leaving because of Jason. But sensationalism sales, right? I laugh when I hear that Jason doesn't like to be edited. What columnist does? I think dude has earned that right to be particular, if that is the case.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

So, do you know why Holly left, or where she might be going?

5. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

according to an article at kcconfidential.com, the memo said she's leaving to enter the "private sector"

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Didn't know newspapers was government work.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I tried that once. Quit radio because it was too loony, only to find a lot more loons in the pizza business.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

So who is next in line to be sports editor?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, Holly is staying until there's a replacement.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It doesn't take much talent to draw attention to oneself. In fact, some might argue that attention-drawing is a substitute for talent.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

You'd think that if the sports editor is staying for a while --- awaiting a replacement --- she might change her mind. Seems like a difficult job to walk away from ...

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder if she will be working with Roger Clemens

Draft saved Draft deleted