1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star Sports Editor Lawton resigns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

http://www.bottomlinecom.com/kcnews/nowwhitlockvslawton.html

We have been informed by a source at the Kansas City Star that the newspaper has officially announced the resignation of Holly Lawton as Sports Editor.
    She denied her resignation had anything to do with a perceived conflict with Jason Whitlock.
    "Nope, not at all," she told Bottom Line.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand why someone would resign over a columnist who hasn't written for the paper in two months.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The whole Whitlock thing is weird. There are rumors that he's on his way out, so he gets on Twitter and tells people to not believe anything out of anyone's mouth but his own. And then he won't say anything else, so that answers absolutely nothing.

If Whitlock was writing about Whitlock, he would be ripping him a new one for his lack of transparency.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Wow. If Whitlock's stuff required heavy editing, I wonder what the hell it looked like when it was turned in?

I don't know Ms. Lawton from Adam (or Eve), but I enjoy the section immensely. Here's wishing her well in the future.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

With the scorn Whitlock has shown other women in the industry in his various columns, message-board rants and other forums, I can't imagine he'd be all too welcoming or respectful of a boss Who Never Played The Game.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Seems like I remember he proclaiming the virtues of his editors not too long ago, saying that was a main reason he stayed in KC as opposed to taking his talents ... elsewhere.

Maybe that was before her time, though.

7. I met Holly once at APSE a few years back. I came away really impressed. Knew her stuff, and was both dynamic and down to earth in the seminar she led.

Thought in recent times she continued the excellence of The Star sports section that started under Fannin, despite the cuts in staff. I'm bummed, but The Star loses in the end. ... Hope Holly is off to better things.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Echoing the comments above. That's a really solid sports section and it's managed to keep most of its space intact despite McClatchy's cuts. I hope the next SE keeps the Star's strengths going.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

How has Whitlock gotten away without writing anything for the Star for around two months? Where can I get that job?

10. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Become an editor for a national Web outlet and there will be no expectation that you ever write for a newspaper.

My guess would be that the Star is just happy to have an occasional presence from Whitlock. Also, it's the offseason for any KC teams that matter (sorry Royals).

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

There are KC teams that matter?

12. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

The 1969 Chiefs come to mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted