1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star offering sports-only digital subscription

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Circus, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Star's editors have definitely tried to adapt with the times. Jesse Newell is one of the more innovative beat writers around, taking an analytical approach and really diving into advanced stats. When Jeff Patterson was on the desk there he did some cool stuff with graphics and multimedia presentations. The apps for different teams are useful.

Not to go all Frederick here, but the Star has always been known for its sports coverage and the suits sqaundered the brand name and a monopoly in its market before making a move that has made sense for at least a decade.

Tweener likes this.
  2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I think most are making as honest an effort as they are capable of. At the least, what most departments really need is a bifurcated staff: an Athletic-type premium web content team whose sole mandate is to drive digital subscriptions, and then a hard news team that more or less operates in the tradional mode. Any paper that has more than one person contributing to a major beat has the staffing numbers to do it. The problem is having hiring managers who understand the content that Athletic-types want and have an eye for the talent capable of producing that content and who are willing to let them produce that content. Most longtime newspaper editors do not understand the Internet. They love print, and simply relay digital mandates from further up the chain of command. Few of them are rolling into work each day thinking first and foremost about how to operate their website in a way that will maximize digital subscriptions

Hermes and FileNotFound like this.
  3. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

I agree Jesse Newell is a great writer... but in Kansas City, Rustin is the best Royals guy, Terez was the best NFL guy and now he's national, Gabe DeArmond has MU on lockdown. The staff there compared to 10 years or so ago isn't worth paying for.
    Between being able to read any article Jesse or Sam Mellinger writes already with incognito mode I'm not sure why I would pay for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted