1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC star offering buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Nov 28, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Per Poynter and E&P: KC Star offering buyouts to 20-year and over employees. Doesn't sound too drastic, but makes you wonder considering McClatchy's usually been above the fray when it comes to this. Target is to reduce about 4 percent of staff.

Have at it. :(

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I wonder how much impact it will have on a tremendous sports section... I've always heard, on here and in other places, how the Star was willing to spend a little more on sports coverage than some other metro papers...

3. TopNotch1127

TopNotch1127 New Member

Should I start the barbecue debate again? ... Man, I love Arthur Bryant's.

In all seriousness, this whole buyouts talk is a little bit disconcerting for a newbie like myself. Say I end up at a place that I want to settle down in in a couple years, say, by the time I'm 25 years old. That means by the time I'm 45, I might need to find myself a new job? Damn.

But seriously, Arthur Bryant's ... so good.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Notice how they're offering one week of pay per year-of-service. The rate for buyouts continues to go down, since management knows that staffers know it always has that layoff hammer poised to drop. Guess the union papers can use seniority rules as leverage for better buyout offers, but the non-union shops might be more screwed than ever.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Notch;

The scenario you just spoke of would be enviable to a lot of people.

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Yeah, it's only a matter of time. That buyout door has now been cracked open by McClatchy. It's going to get wider. Just a hunch.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That's crazy, considering that paper spends A TON of money on its sports section. A TON.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines, I'd say the sports section might not get affected with this (or maybe one person leaves, who knows). I think KC knows its sports section has a ton of readers who might likely bitch if there's draconian cutbacks.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I don't think The Star has anyone in sports that's been there for 20 years or more. Maybe one or two guys, but i doubt it.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I believe DeArmond has been there 20-plus, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

11. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I think you're going to see most papers in the country (corporate-owned, anyway) offer this kind of buyout over the next year or so. Makes a lot of sense from the corporate point of view and I don't think it necessarily means those positions won't be filled.

12. I hope sports doesn't get hit too hard.

KC Star is my favorite sports section. (No, I don't work there).

Draft saved Draft deleted