1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star: Missouri races to 13-point halftime lead over Memphis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by exmediahack, Mar 27, 2009.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It's now 2+ hours since the end of the game.

http://www.kansascity.com

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/

PLEASE tell me this wasn't the plan and that they didn't have any contingencies in place in case Mizzou win, in which this is now a huge story in the market.

I know the Star just went through a series of major purges but we are in an instant analysis world now. Even a stripped down gamer would be great.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Now it's updated. There we go, Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1108810.html

I stand down. Maybe I expect too much. :)

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a lead over memphis? naw, still sucks.

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

The higher-ups think that only the Johnson County KU fans matter so they're front-paging KU every day, all day. That'll save this newspaper! :D

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

McClatchy was having issues with its Internet sites tonight. Chances are the story was updated on the paper's end, and got caught in the hours it was taking the site to actually update.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

They should've just used ESPN "research" for their final stats. This pullout box info on the AP story, still up, made me laugh, if only for the last two notes, including a misspelled name:

Missouri jumped on Memphis early, moving within a win of its first Final Four. Only Boston College has more tournament wins without a Final Four appearance.

• Memphis allowed 100 points for the first time in the John Calipari era.

• T.J. Tiller had a career-high 23 points for Mizzou.

• Tyreke Evans scored 33 for Memphis in defeat.

-- ESPN research

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What? Update a story while a game is actually in progress?

More than my last shop would do. I once suggested the idea and was quickly shot down. Nah, anyone who wants to know that stuff can watch on TV, listen to the radio, phone a friend, etc.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

One of our main beats, we write in-progress game stories for the Web. I've never understood that as being a good use of time or effort. How many folks follow along on a non-game site for updates relative to what the person made (and those editing made) writing a xx-leads-49-44 "gamer"?

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I have. When my alma mater is playing and it's not on TV where I live (which is a long way from my alma mater), I go to the local paper's website and get the updates.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

As for the Star, it probably was a web problem. At the very least, they could've gotten a techie to take the halftime update DOWN. It's better to have no information than embarrassingly old information. Or is it?

11. sptwri

sptwri Member

Come on Simon, you can do better than that.

12. Simon

Simon Active Member

I know but I didn't want to bash the Star. I love that paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted