1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star fires metro columnist for plagiarism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked the lede...

Outlined against a blue-gray July sky the Kansas City Royals rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Almost all true (though I'll quibble with the order of the final Royko/Breslin call) . . . I spent a good deal of time in the old Sun-Times/Daily News building on the river, on Royko's floor . . . and he DID have a glassed-in corner office . . . the door was typically open, but not always . . .

Just FYI.

. . . tryin' to remember when John left. I may well have spent much of my time there after he did . . .

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Any list of city columnist is incomplete without Herb Caen in San Francisco ... just sayin'.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Schulian went Chicago to Philly, right? Not the other way around?

Boy, that Daily News writing staff had some stars on it for a while. Schulian, Didinger, Whicker and ... ? Sorry, fourth name escapes me.

I remember the day Leonard Tose did something bad, and all four wrote. There were your Four Horsemen.

Or am I misremembering the whole thing?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No disagreement whatsoever.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He went to the Philly Daily News from Chicago, absolutely.

He was and is a talent, but that final marriage of a personal newspaper career and a town didn't take.

But then he hit the Mother Lode.

It's all out well enough for him, though . . . for certain.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If making up stuff is your thing, a Metro columnist gig is the perfect spot for you.

8. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

Stan Hochman

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Indeed, thank you. Sorry, Stan.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

What? No Mike Barnicle?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Can somebody get me on the release list for the funeral homes? I promise to attribute whatever I use.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The million-to-one shot came in. Hell froze over. A month of Sundays hit the calendar. The Kansas City Royals actually won a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted