1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star columnist victim of an unethical cheap shot

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was really all that condescending. I think it was ill-advised.

Just as bad was the PR woman's response about how many skills and talents PR folks have that the averaged dim-witted writer couldn't comprehend.

I really don't know of any successful newspaper people who have gone into PR or public affairs or communications who haven't done a great job.

2. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Mark Cuban applauds the columnist's no-bullshit approach, given that he's a veteran of the work force with a 30-year paper trail behind him.

http://blogmaverick.com/2009/08/28/success-motivation-a-great-letter-dissed/

3. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

I would say that accountability can also come from your (loyal) readers. Sure, there are bloggers (and commentators in print, TV, radio, etc.) who speak only to a slobbering group of devotees. But more often, I think, the consumers of said blog content can and do provide an invaluable service by calling bloviators on their bullshit.

Accountability to the public is in my mind more important than accountability to the people you're writing about -- provided you have your facts straight when you're writing about them.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

And Hendricks says he doesn't regret sending the email, nor how he presented himself.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=101&aid=169169

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From that story:

Ernzen told me that she regrets putting Hendricks' reputation at risk by sending his e-mails to Richard Laermer, one of the people who runs the Bad Pitch Blog. She said she did so because she wanted to "vent" to someone about the e-mail exchange.

"I was shocked at the way [Hendricks' e-mail] was presented to me, in part because I felt like it was kind of putting down our industry as a whole," she said. "But from the moment the blog went live I was nauseous. I didn't like it at all and I realized I made a major judgment error."

Story didn't say if she came under fire from her bosses.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She regrets it, but I'm not seeing the word "apology" or any derivative...

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure the reporter dug deep enough on that side, whereas she was thorough with the KC Star angle.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Pretty fascinating stuff, regardless.
    The second e-mail, its in the Poynter link, is even more interesting, because he apologizes for sounding flippant, but he was basically saying, I make some decent coin now and I don't want to waste your time if this is a poorly-paid, entry-level gig.
    And that he would rather be writing for them than promoting the company's writers.

I know that I've applied for for gigs without my employer knowing and it would royally suck if they leaked I was looking to a blog.

9. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Hendricks' "inquiry" is a good example of how not to get a job, but I was really bothered by the blogger trying to keep the company anonymous, but calling out Hendricks. The point could have still been made without using anyone's name, so it's only appropriate I guess that her name be out there and open to criticism. The PR-loving blogger also showed why no one would ever confuse him for being a journalist with his move of protecting the company but naming the letter writer. It was a lame move.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Yeah, she regrets it now that she's took a little blowback.

Want to vent? Bitch to a co-worker. Don't obliterate personal privacy.

Draft saved Draft deleted