1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Royals Fans Nominated for SI Sportsman & Women of the Year 2014

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

2014 Sportsman nominee: Kansas City Royals fans (other 3 choices so far are Coach Pops/The Showman, Michael Sam & Meb Keflezighi) ​The world had changed while the Royals were off the grid -- starting with the fact that there wasn’t really a grid in 1985 -- but their fans continued turning up in the intervening decades, as if nothing had happened. And that was the problem: Nothing had happened. Royals fans came anyway -- never fewer than 1.2 million in a season, usually many more -- in an act of faith or madness or (that phrase again) simple devotion to duty. That’s why those fans are my Sportsmen and Women of the Year. They maintained this bedside vigil, day after day for decades, in the fading hope that the patient would stir.
    http://www.si.com/sportsman/2014/10/20/steve-rushin-sportsman-kansas-city-royals

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I vote Popovich. He won't win because he won't sell magazines.

If you want to give it to the Royals, great. Best story in baseball this season. The fans? Why? Seems like a cop out.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jeez, Michael Sam?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why don't they just do a regional Sportsman of the Year, similar to how they've bastardized the covers?

That way everybody in the country can have a proverbial trophy.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

These always get packaged as "nomination," but they're really just personal thought exercises about someone or some team that was cool.

If someone gets written about as part of this, it's a guarantee that he/she is NOT getting the award.

As for the actual honor, the NFL could use some nut-licking from its business partner.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Here's a bold move: Ray Rice

I know this is a positive award, but think of the impact the Rice case has had on the sports world and how things have been changed as a result.

I know it will never happen, but it would be more interesting than "Royals fans... YAY!"

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I vote for the exmediahack family.

8. Deeper_Background

this could be it. KC Royals=Midwest Meb=East Coast Pops=West Coast, Southwest Sam=Everyone else

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sportsman and Sportswoman of the year:

[​IMG]

10. Deeper_Background

I hereby nominate Marlins Man for his lifetime achievements at major sporting events. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. RecoveringJournalist

Sherman would be a better choice than Royals fans.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Supporting a shit franchise is not a good thing if the owners have been salary-cap freeloaders and salary-dumpers for decades on end, like the Royals have.

Draft saved Draft deleted