1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kay Yow out for the year with breast cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Jan 4, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

She's says she's tired from the cancer treatment. I really hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/women/01/04/yow.ncstate.ap/

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Re: Kay Yow misses fourth game in a row with breast cancer

Keep Pounding, Kay. Please Keep Pounding.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

My mom wants to return to work in September and I thought of Kay Yow as someone who has continued to work even as she battles that fucking horrid disease...and someone who could inspire my mom.

Like SC and Sam, I certainly hope this is not as dire as it sounds.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Amen, Sam.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Too bad. I've never been a huge women's hoops fan or even an N.C. State fan, but I couldn't help but become a Kay Yow fan. I'll have a good thought for her.

6. Sam Mills 51

I just PMed someone, saying that women's basketball doesn't have a better ambassador, and that there probably aren't five better in the human race.

I almost lost it when Walter Payton died from this horrid disease and had to settle down a moment when Sam Mills was felled by it. If Kay Yow goes, I might have to hole up somewhere for a while. I've had the privilege of talking with her more than once, and the thought of that awful disease claiming her sickens me to the core.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I never met Kay Yow, but I've met and talked to Debbie Yow on several occasions.

It all started when I was a student at the University of Maryland. One of the things that made an impression on me was when I was a columnist for The Diamondback back in the last millennium and mentioned a column I'd written, she told me she'd already read it with a look of recognition.

In a way, it feels as though I know Kay a little bit by proxy. Being a cancer survivor myself makes this even tougher.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I hear that, Sam. A favorite cousin died of colon cancer a couple of years ago, not much older than I am now. Dealing with my own grief was bad enough, but watching the girls from his high school basketball team -- he was our league's Coach of the Year, an award now named in his honor, the previous season -- try to hold it together during the funeral was even worse.

Didn't get much sleep those next few nights.

F_t, glad you kicked its ass.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

We need you, Kay, we need you. Battle like hell Kay.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

She won't be back this year. :'( :'( :'(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090106/ap_on_sp_co_ne/bkw_nc_state_yow;_ylt=ApK1q7ewnUJyhfBPJHMOT_ckybQF

11. Sam Mills 51

Save your energy, Kay, and come back stronger than ever. Your spot on the bench - on the basketball court, in a park of your choice or figuratively in life - will be there, eager for your return.

She loves coaching, loves being with the players and staff and did not want to do this. I'm convinced that basketball has been at least partly responsible for her continuing courageous battle against breast cancer.

Keep Pounding, Kay. Please Keep Pounding.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

May they both be back to doing what they want to do by then, if not sooner.

Draft saved Draft deleted