1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katz: Cheer up, state of Michigan, Beilein's boys are here to save you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hard to believe that the same athletic department that hired Beilein could also hire a douche like Rodriguez.

Michigan is going to become like Florida for me, where I root like hell for the hoops team while hoping the football teams go down in flames.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Serious question meant without any snark. Why do you think RichRod a douche?

3. Mizzougrad96

Are you serious?

The guy whored himself out for every opening in college football for the last few years, told the national media he was taking the Bama job, called them all liars the next day, signed a contract extension just months before bolting and stuck his new employer with a $4 million buyout after an embarrassing legal battle. Then he shits the bed in his first season as coach.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah. I mean don't get me wrong, the guy is no Lloyd Carr, but I think he is getting some unfair play in the media. I think much of the reason he left had to do with West Virginia's inability to pay for upgrades to the facilities. Michigan gave him those upgrades on day one. They built him a brand new weight room. Moreover, the "get a life" comment was completely blown out of proportion. It was taken out of like a 10 paragraph statement about how the internet is depressing and bloggers are full of hate, and how he tries to ignore it. Anyway, some things have made me sort of mad, but I don't feel this guy is on par with Saban, Wies or Petrino like some have made him out to be.

5. Mizzougrad96

Too much was made of the "Get a Life" comment, but I do get the sense from reporters who have dealt with him that Rodriguez is a colossal douche.

But, if he starts winning, no one will care. If he has another season like this one, he'll be looking for work.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Look at those 'Bama fans who hated Saban after last year. If Coach (Blue font) can pull off a great year next season, this year will be a faint memory.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Speaking of douches, what was up with Dantonio calling a bunch of time outs and the end of the game Saturday?

8. Mizzougrad96

Very true.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They should have been 5-7, or 6-6. I think his arrogance sort of screwed him there. He thought Lloyd's players, Brandon Minor and some other were no good and started giving too many looks to McGuffie and Odoms. That cost him the Utah game, and the Toledo game. And he should have fixed the turnover problems. That cost them ND.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He felt Paterno was trying to RUTS on him (he was, throwing deep several times with a huge fourth-quarter lead), so he was saying, "fine, fuck you, we'll drag it out to the bitter end too."

Which is fine. Just because the score is a wipeout doesn't mean either team has any responsibility to quit trying.

Too bad for Dantonio he didn't harness all this aggressive energy sometime before his team fell behind 973-13.

That ass romping, put together with the flogging they took at the hands of Ohio State, probably took a lot of the sheen off his candidacy for BCS-level jobs (he's been at least mentioned for Clemson and Tennessee, as well as his alma mater, South Carolina, if the OBC elects to hang it up).

11. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

For the record, RR not a jerk, let alone douche. Very open, very reasonable, doesn't hold criticism against folks.

At least in my short time with him.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

http://www.freep.com/article/20081124/SPORTS08/81124032

Lloyd Carr looking for a new coach.

For Eastern Michigan, that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted