1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katz: Cheer up, state of Michigan, Beilein's boys are here to save you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3716486

::) ::)

Unfortuately,

a) Michigan's basketball team has been such an unmitigated bucket of suck for 10 years, one win isn't going to change that perception;

b) Football is 10x as important as basketball; Beilein could go 38-0 and storm to the NCAA title and it still wouldn't outweigh the football team going 3-9.

c) State residents facing unemployment, bankruptcy, foreclosure and eviction aren't going to be brought out of their gloom by an insignificant basketball win.

d) Not all state residents are big University of Michigan fans.

Get over yourself, Beilein. And Katz, look for other story lines.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

DONT TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME STARMAN! TODAY IS A GREAT DAY.

This is huge for a program that overshadowed MSU for the 80s and early 90s.

This is a very welcomed change for someone my age. It's been a long time since I've had a basketball team to root for. And especially with football in the crapper, I'm glad I now have a legitimate team to root for.

3. This is just starting for Michigan. Beilein will have them on the bubble in the weak-ass Big Ten.

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

John Beilein is one of the best and more sincere people I've had the good fortune to meet in 15 years of sportswriting.

I can't stress the sincere part enough.

Times are very tough in Michigan right now. So tough that you can't really understand if you're not there. All the guy was saying is that he hoped, for a night, people had something to smile about.

Get over yourself, Starman.

5. I thought it was a fine angle.

Lot of nit-picking going on in these parts lately. This one. Teddy Greenstein's column.

I guess that's kind of what we do here, though. But I didn't have much of a problem with either piece.

My only question would be how much is Michigan really the state of Michigan's school? Or is it more like the University of New York/New Jersey at Ann Arbor?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Starman justice" says all sports in Michigan should be canceled until people feel better about themselves.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Member

What's up with the PS2?

9. Is Mitch pitching a tent in the living room of the Bielein house yet?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My alternative was a guy peeing and I didn't think that would fly...

And no, Fens. He's busy kicking DickRod -- a rarity with a coach or athlete still in town and not leaving for a while...

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Rich Rodriguez believes that all these fans should start thinking about the economy rather than Michigan basketball.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, with a whole roster on the payroll of a professional gambler, and TWO NCAA finals which took very curious (the second time, almost astonishing) swings in regard to the point spread and the over/under in the last 2:00 of each game.

Wonderful tradition.

To Waylon's question: the state of Michigan is 75% U-M fans, probably 15% MSU fans, and the directionals and Notre Dame (especially in the SW corner of the state) splitting up the rest.

Draft saved Draft deleted