1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katie Couric to leave CBS News after the Presidential Election?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Apr 10, 2008.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Why would it not surprise me that Richie Rich and his agent might be emailing Mich AD Dick Martin and threatening to leave Big Blue for the projected opening at CBS News?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Then spend $200 million to make Mexico a better place to live.

If America made a serious effort to make Mexico a better place, like we are doing in Iraq for no reason other than oil, then the people of Mexico would not swim across a river pregnant, risking their life and the baby's life.

We hold almost all the world's wealth (or at least we did before George W.), but we are too greedy to spend it on those who are impoverished?

Why is it so hard to figure this out? No wonder the rest of the world hates us.

3. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

We don't hold almost all of the world's wealth, not even close.

How much of your money did you donate to Mexican improvements last year?

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I've got to say, the CBS Sunday Morning Show is one of the best out there. I'll watch that.

And as for the nat'l news, I'm 27 and I watch the NBC Nightly News when I have a chance.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, that's quite possibly one of the dumbest things that has ever been posted here. Nice work.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't want to get into a huge pissing match on this, but just telling Mexicans to stop coming into America, or building a fence to keep them out is not going to work.

I would almost equate this to the war on drugs. We can tell people to stop doing it. We can throw them in jail once they do it or sell them, but this is obviously not working. You have to take a different approach to solve the problem.

Just like America complaining about Mexicans coming across the border and draining our public resources, what we are doing now is not working. We have to find a better solution to the problem.

And yes, the rest of the world does dislike us greatly. Hate is a strong word.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Agreed it's a serious problem, but what's the alternative? That's what the story didn't adress. Turn them away?

The focus of the story was simple: Get people riled up about dem illegals getting health care. Health care! Like they're human beings or something!

It was base sensationalism and you should expect more from a nationon news broadcast.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Did you see the story?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dancing to a less-emotional parallel:

Why should U. S. citizens get MURDERED (either directly, or via resounding insurance premiums) on first-run prescription drugs, when no other citizenry in the world is similarly soaked?

The broad U. S. population is very charitable. The multinational drug companies don't need such
    legislatively-generated "charity".

There's only so much abuse the middle class can take.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This country gives more international aid than any other country on the planet. To say we don't do enough to help other countries, including Mexico, is the height of stupidity. You're a fool if you believe we don't do enough.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Yeah, I saw it. If it wasn't completely one-sided it was 90 percent-sided.

There's this quote:
    Quickly followed by this:

Anyway, I know we're getting off topic so let's just agree that the best thing to do is let any illegal seeking emergeny medical care die in the hospital parking lot and call it a day.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Agreed. I mean, we gave billions to Saudi Arabia in arms and military aid. And as proof of how nice we are: They didn't even need it! sniff, sniff

Draft saved Draft deleted