1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katie Couric to leave CBS News after the Presidential Election?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Seinfeld reruns.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

And Dan Rather wasn't being pushed out either.
    What else will they say? If they admitted it, she'd be down to 1-2 million a night, and they'd for sure have to pull her now.
    She is not for that chair. Some speculation I read today said she might take Larry King's spot at CNN. That is more of the vehicle to show her talents, of which she does have a lot, just not the gravitas of a nightly news anchor.

Also, Poin, I watch NBC Nightly News each night I'm home.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

No, she said they run other national news other than CBS. I was confused as to what that meant.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Call me an egghead if you want, but if I'm going to watch the nightly national news, I'll take Jim Lehrer on PBS over 'em all.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Jim Lehrer is awesome. So much better than anyone on the networks. But, of the three, I'd say Brian Williams is the best.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Charlie Gibson is okay, but I did find it amusing tha he changed to Charles when he got the big job.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I assume they produce their own nationally-focused newscasts using feed video.

And the problems at CBS news are far too great to be fixed by an anchor switch. The cluelessness I've encountered from people at the network is pretty remarkable.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

That's at any network.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Last weekend they teased the Monday feature by asking why Mexican women can cross the borders into America, have a child and then cross back into Mexico.

"And you're paying for it!"

Wow.

Babies being born into a healthy environment is so fucking awful. Who the fuck cares who is paying for it?

Would we rather the children be born on a dirt floor?

Fuck you CBSNews.

Rot in hell and die.

I could give a fuck what happens to them after that story.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/07/eveningnews/main4000401.shtml

Outside of 60 Minutes, I will never give them a minute for a long time.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think most of the anti-immigrant stuff in this country is badly overblown.

But did you see the story?

One hospital in Texas spent $200 million last year on medical care for illegal immigrants who didn't spend a dime. That's $200 million that is mostly eaten by the hospital or partially paid by the federal government. Again, one hospital. So consider how many hospitals along the border have a similar problem.

Women swim across the Rio Grande in labor and walk to the hospital soaking wet, ready to give birth for free and then walk home. The C-Section alone is $5000. Not only is the birth free, but once the child is 21 he or she can sponsor the family to move to the US, because that kid is a US citizen.

If you watched the story, it didn't demonize the women who did it. But it did raise a valid point - it's a pretty serious problem for the hospital and for Americans who pick up the bill.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Thanks for writing exactly what I meant. I definitely wrote that after 11 hours of work. Exhaustion had set in. :)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rich Rodriguez....

Draft saved Draft deleted