1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katie Couric Plots Exit from the CBS Evening News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 25, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I'm a conservative and except for O Reilly I have no use for Fox. Hannity I've made my point about before, Cavuto and the brit Barney are all about how they may lose some of their dollars amongst their millions and how we're all a bunch of bums sucking off the government.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Scott Pelley named new anchor. Will continue duties on 60 Minutes. A good move by CBS - how do you have the top-rated news show on TV and the lowest rated newscast and morning show? Hopefully - they will do a better job integrating all of their shows.
    Mediaite reporting the Morning Joe EP is heading to CBS's morning show. Kind of a surprise considering they just got a new EP a year ago and a new anchor team last fall.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's impossible to overstate how utterly screwed up the Early Show is, and always has been.They change EPs about once a year and it never gets any better. They also keep blowing out the talent with seemingly no basic understanding of what works and what doesn't. They fire good anchors as quickly as bad anchors and bring in replacements that often make no sense whatsoever.

The affiliates, understandably, HATE The Early Show, because they would make a hell of a lot more money and get better ratings if they put local news in that slot.

A few years ago CBS had a special satellite presentation for affiliates to unveil big changes they were very excited about. The centerpiece of the change: a new couch. They showed off fabric swatches. They seemed genuinely shocked when the affiliates didn't seem to share their excitement.

Scott Pelley, by the way, is the latest case of Aaron Altman Syndrome:

[​IMG]

Talented reporter who aspires to be a shitty anchor. Bad, bad move.

4. DanOregon

I don't think CBS wants Pelley to be a "star anchor." They want someone to quarterback their news team.
    Agree about the Early Show - hated the way they'd get rid of Harry Smith and Mark McKewen and then bring them back time and again.
    Why not try and do something the other shows aren't doing instead of just offering the same things, just not as well? Do a solid news wheel every half hour with maybe a different feature/interview segment each half-hour?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely right.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pelley is the anti-Couric. Great hire.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. I like Pelley's stuff on 60 Minutes but I can't see him connecting as an anchor the way that, say, Brian Williams does. Which is why I'll keep watching Brian Williams on the very rare times I watch the evening news.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

brian williams is the shit. that is all... 8)

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

And a steal money wise.

10. DanOregon

Final show tonight.
    So who do you think will inherit the Dan Rather Endowed Chair of "Public Enemy of the Right?"
    Figure it has to be someone with some cred.

Gregory? Stephanopoulous?

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

So....Pelley has been in the anchor chair for 6 days, and I thought, certainly, the site would be abuzz with comments, criticisms, possibly even a compliment or two.

But nothing.

I have seen about half of them so far. I would agree with those of you who think CBS management is trying to regain its tradition of reporting actual news -- not just chasing the latest ugly scandal so it will get ratings. Pelley is calm, but authoritative (I want to see how he would handle live breaking news).

OK, I will keep watching -- looking for flaws (I am sure there have been, but I have not picked up on them yet). I just wanted to see how he got through week one.

Discuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted