1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katie Couric Plots Exit from the CBS Evening News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 25, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A1 in tomorrow's Times:

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I never understood why the Evening News and 60 Minutes didn't do a better job drafting off each other. 60 Minutes is a top 10 show, there is no reason why some of those viewers shouldn't be directed to the network's news show. And yet, I can't really recall a time when when there was that much cross-over like a story broken or introduced on the news given full treatment on 60 Minutes or follow-up of a 60 Minutes story on the news. I figure Hewitt resisted it and that mindset has carried over. Maybe with Fager running the news and presumably Pelley getting the desk there might be more.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Dang. No one wants their air time cut and no one likes the new kid on the block, especially when they are toting a contract that cost CBS the gross national product of Ivory Coast, Ghana and Nepal combined. That was a great story on Sully, by the way. Even if I find Katie more annoying than a fart can exhaust on a 96 Civic.

4. YankeeFan

I didn't see it, but I understand that Matt Lauer interviewed Katie this morning on the Today Show.

If, as it's been reported, he's in talks to be involved with her and Jeff Zucker in a syndicated show, there's no way he should have interviewed her without disclosing that to the audience.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like Katie is about to bust a steamer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Here is the CBS statement regarding Katie's departure, in its entirety:

"There’s a lot to be proud of during her time at Evening News. CBS news, like Katie herself, is looking forward to the next chapter."

That's quite possibly the clearest "don't let the door hit you" farewell statement I've ever seen. Damn.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I got a killer recipe for dog from that. Mmmmm!

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Why is Katie Couric even relevant? Letterman compared her to Cronkite. CRONKITE! CRONKITE! Good god the man is losing his marbles snorting whatever Paul snorts. She was a ratings loser and has half the journalistic standards Cronkite amassed during a distinguished career.

9. YankeeFan

It wasn't the official statement, but Ailes' comment regarding Beck's departure from FOX News was classic:

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Slight correction.

I probably watched Cronkite 80% of the time from the age of about 5 till I was 20.

I have never -- not once -- watched a complete episode of Couric on the CBS Evening News.

For that matter, I couldn't tell you who the anchors are on ABC or NBC, either.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll be 62 on June 30. Network news is the last media audience where I can consider myself one of the young ones. And cable news is just as bad (CNN median age: 62, MSNBC, a sprightly 60, Fox: 65). It's no surprise. For years, broadcasters said the nightly news was a headline service with pictures. That is now available on your computer or even phone 24/7. Whereas, I still need Encore Western channel to watch "Have Gun, Will Travel" at 6:30 p.m.
    Bottom line: Couric's failure to draw ratings had next to nothing to do with her. She was change for an audience that, since it's old, hates change.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No kidding. Makes me reread the first sentence and think "what was there to be proud of? That the stage lights didn't fall?"

Draft saved Draft deleted