1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katie Couric Plots Exit from the CBS Evening News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 25, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1+2+3=Obsolete.

Unless, of course, you're lazy and/or don't care about quality.

I agree that it's sometimes easier to just fax something to someone rather than, you know, put in any effort but unless it's something completely pointless, don't you want them to get it in a completely useful way, where shit's not smudged, and where they don't have to retype the whole thing?

I am just speaking from the point of view of someone who has to deal with coaches who fax in results and crap. And you know what I do with them? Right in the trash. If you don't want to take the effort to make my life easier, I'm not wasting my time printing your crap. Sorry.

But, to go back on topic, Katie Couric sucks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Obsolete, or something damn near like it, started creeping in slowly but surely in more than a few circles when college news releases stopped coming in by fax and started coming in by e-mail link to the version on the school's website.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just because you do something a certain way doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who still it the other way, or doesn't mean that most people do it your way. And not accepting news that is sent in by fax is journalistic malpractice. If someone wants to give me information that could possibly be valuable, I could give a shit whether it comes by semaphor or by banging on a log, The disregard for basic journalism that's popping up on this board lately is disheartening.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Johnny Dangerously

Some, not all of it, could owe to the disregard for basic journalism by those who call the shots where they work. At some places, if you can get a paper out, you're doing a hell of a job. I see so many corners being cut, basic journalism seems like a quaint display behind a glass case in a Newseum. If you ask four people to take the field for nine innings, you might not get good 3B play by your lone infielder. I know we all love agate, but some places don't have enough staff and time to input it all. And yet, I don't know a single coach who is paid to make our jobs easier. You do what you can, in the end. Think I'll go work for Blue Bell: We eat all we can and sell the rest.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Blue wha? Oh, Bell. Never mind.

7. Johnny Dangerously

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Nobody can touch me.

Signed,

Brian Williams

9. Johnny Dangerously

Can't Touch This.

Signed,

Former Oakland A's bat boy

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I completely agree that my way isn't the only way. However, that being said, we have an increasingly small news hole nowadays and if my choices are 1.) Type up two hours worth of Little League results because a slew of lazy coaches didn't want to join the 21st century and email the results to me or 2.) Save myself two hours to do something more constructive with my time by plugging in another photo or two on the page ... guess which option I'm going with.

If you want free publicity for your Little League or organization, you play by the rules of the people who are putting that sports section out. And, if you don't like it, you can fax that information to someone who cares.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I never realized that I was starting a war over...fax machines. I just don't like the damned things. If you're going to type it up anyhow, put it in an e-mail. Usually, the faxes I get are handwritten stats that I need the FBI's handwriting interpretation experts just to make heads or tails of. Besides, faxes always smudge or the toner runs low on the most important part of the document. Always. I am not saying that they should be demolished like the printer in "Office Space," but I just don't like using them. E-mail is so much better.

And carburetors? Nothing wrong with them, but fuel injection is a whole helluva lot better. Rebuilding a carburetor is the biggest pain in the ass. There is always a spring that warps off to parts of your garage unknown when you try to put it back in.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I know the audiences for network newscasts are smaller than ever and beset with bad demographics. I know they have less influence and will probably go away someday. But the last figures I saw had NBC with 9.3 million viewers per night and CBS -- which is a ratings disaster -- had 6.023 million.

If nine million people are still buying your product on a daily basis, it's not quite obsolete.

Draft saved Draft deleted