1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katie Couric Plots Exit from the CBS Evening News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thanks . . but no, thanks.

And, yes, gravitas is a key f'n word, here.

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

The evening newscast is as passe as Ron Burgundy's suits. I remember when everyone watched Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings in the evening. Now, most folks don't even realize that there is a newscast in the evening. It's useless in an age of the internet, Twitter and of course, the 24-hour cable news networks. It's like milk deliveries, carburetors, 4-on-the-column, fax machines, VHS and cassette tapes. It's obsolete.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Fax machines aren't obsolete.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rack him.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Plots? I could can her in a second.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

False.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Neither are carbs /motorcycleguy

8. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Not false. If I'm traveling, I'm more likely to shell out the $ to fax something than I am to track down a scanner and then hope I can log in and send an e-mail with an attachment.

Even in the office, people choose the single step of faxing rather than scanning, attaching, and e-mailing.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Faxes are accepted as official transactions in many contexts. Not obsolete

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Network anchor isn't the job it used to be. Money is great, fame too - but Couric already has it. It's kind of like the difference between calling a Super Bowl or hosting the pregame. The thing is - Couric would have been great at CNN taking over for King and doing a little of the Anderson Cooper thing. But daytime?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At times when the cable "news" networks seem more interested in screaming about the sky falling down (for example, Japan) than a little bit of reporting, I like having a network news show, mainly Williams, to give a little more perspective than what's happening this minute.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The third-place network newscast draws more viewers than the first-place morning show.

Draft saved Draft deleted