1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Katie Baker, The Confessions of a Fomer Adolescent Puck Tease

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought this was quite well written, and it may hit close to home (too close, even) for some of our SJ community here, especially those who live larger lives on-line than they do in reality. Probably not a read for everyone, but it's also an interesting look back at the earliest stages of the Interwebs, and message board/listserve culture.

http://deadspin.com/5697455/the-confessions-of-a-former-adolescent-puck-tease

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Amazing story.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I read it and it was fascinating.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There's a long line of these information age confessionals.

The most recent being another Gawker employee, Emily Gould.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/magazine/25internet-t.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&hp

But the me-generation/adolescent-into-womanhood memoir goes back at least as far as Joyce Maynard in 1973.

http://www.joycemaynard.com/columns-articles/eighteen-yr-old-looks-back.shtml

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If everyone followed the Pics of GTFO rule, we'd have fewer of these stories.

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Quite well written for sure.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Betting her inbox (hahahahaha) is full of stories right now saying "shit, I thought I was the only one."

Great story, especially how she was caught.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Surprised she wasn't murdered[/earlyinterneteratrope]

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My first impulse was that the story was a beautifully written, suspenseful story in which the payoff didn't live up to the build-up. But then I thought about how some of the best dramas on television - "The Sopranos," "Mad Men," "LOST" - were tremendous at building anticipation to the point where you couldn't even take it any more. Think about, for example, the time when Don is shocked to find Betty home when we know that the teacher mistress is sitting in the car. It was excruciating to wait for her to walk in on the scene, and the storytelling lost absolutely nothing because she didn't do so.

This story seems a lot like that. The journey itself is the point. And she's the villain, not him, which is a nice little twist on the standard-issue Internet cautionary tale.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wish I had the attention span or dedication to invent a fake life for myself.

At least then I'd have one.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

From the ages of 13-15, I lived a largely online life. I was kind of an introvert and a little awkward at that age, and AOL could mask both of those very well. I wasn't a compulsive liar like Katie, and I never met anyone off the Internet, but I did get to know quite a few people and talked on the phone with a couple.

Around the time I started driving, I started developing a close circle of friends at school and left the AOL life behind. But honestly, that story did bring back some odd memories.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I liked it very much.

My odd chatroom story -- I went into AOL chatrooms for years -- was that I was always me, always my age, always described accurately in my profile. That might be stranger than the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted