1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kathleen Parker Leaving CNN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I guess we can conclude that Kathleen Parker was not "what was wrong" with Parker/Spitzer, no?

One of these days, CNN will rediscover what made it special 20 years ago. It will present the news for most of the day and not opinion/interview/celebrity programming. Lots of other places present that; there is a niche for a "news network" - - just as there was in the past.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This is the best idea I've heard so far, Michael. Along with Wicked, CNN apparently has no strategy when it comes to their primetime stuff anymore. It was Larry King and everyone else.

Ditching the faux-Crossfire and talk-show primetime concepts and going with your plan would get me to watch CNN again.

Wicked, my grandparents miss Larry King so much and can't stand Piers, they've settled on watching To Catch a Predator reruns.

Oh wait, I should tell them about Chris Hansen...

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

While they're at it, maybe they can un-ruin Headline News, too.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, Parker was hardly blameless . . . less than zero chemistry, between them. She's not 100% to blame for that, but she was the weaker link.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Well, she wasn't "what was right" with Parker/Spitzer, either! ;D

I'm with Michael. I'd go dry, dry, dry. A McNeil/Lehrer-type approach, except even more so. The women can still be gorgeous, just very icy and dry. Let Burnett do a show on economic news. Keep it simple. Don't try to give John King a personality, just let him stand at the smart board and do his thing. In fact, let the smart board be the star. More David Gergen. Much more. Get rid of Donna Brazille and the conservative Hispanic guy with the Southern accent. The only political analysts allowed to appear are people like Gergs who have worked on both sides. There are some great professors of politics in the DC area that pride themselves on their students not being able to figure out their politics. Hire those folks to analyze.

Then market it that way.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sharp post.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So you're basically advocating for the C-SPAN version of cable news? The American BBC News Channel?

That'd work for me, I'm a news nerd. I can imagine how atrocious the ratings would be though.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thank God for the BCC news broadcasts on the telly we're able to access, stateside.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If I was CNN president, I would give $10 million for a 2-year contract to host a show 2 hours each weeknight to Sarah Palin. Give her a Mika-like sidekick who can drive the ship, provide the middle-of-the-road news, and keep her on point, give her a blogger type who can interview celebs...and sit back and watch the fireworks -- and watch the viewers roll in.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You'd be up the creek when she quit after five months, though.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

They ought to keep Anderson Cooper and run CNN International for the rest of evening hours.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Agreed. Wish they'd offer a subscription for the iPlayer for those outside of the UK. But I reckon we're in the minority.

Draft saved Draft deleted