1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kate Spade commits suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Doorknobs are deadly.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You have to tread lightly on an issue like suicide. Of course, no one hangs themselves unless they are facing a serious struggle within. But it’s not diminishing that to point out the possible crippling effects such action can have on children. No expert, but doesn’t suicide often run through generations within a family? In that context, it’s totally plausible to envision the death sentence CD speaks of.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think I remember a film about the Hemingways, or an interview with Mariel Hemingway, where I heard the risk for suicide is something like 3x greater in children of parents who completed suicide. Certainly the risk is greater, but it's still a very small percentage who commit suicide. So labeling Spade's suicide as the "murder" of her child seems wrong to me. Certainly it's plausible this child will go on to do the same thing, but I don't think it's probable, particularly if she seeks and receives good mental health care in the coming years.

I'm probably just picking nits on the way it was said. Certainly this child faces a lot of pain in her future, no matter how you slice it.

QYFW likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I watched that video - did robin williams die accidentally of auto (aspiration)?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes, he hung himself.
    And not in a David Carradine/Michael Hutchins kind of way.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

8. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

I'm with you on how the OP worded it. And also, murder is an intentional act. I'm willing to bet Kate Spade was not looking to destroy her daughter's future. The truth is, many people who have been lost to suicide believed the world would be better off without them.

HC likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

HC likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Referring to it as murder is of course hyperbole, but I was referring mainly to the person this 13-year-old girl was yesterday when she woke up and who she is today in the wake of her mother’s suicide. That prior incarnation has been effectively killed.

bigpern23, Vombatus and HanSenSE like this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What does it say that the suicide thread is less depressing than the politics thread?

Big Circus and bigpern23 like this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Where does @YankeeFan spend all his time?

Draft saved Draft deleted