1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kate Spade commits suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is part of why suicide could go up in the next 10-15 years. It just bounces around social media and the Internet endlessly.

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Someone in our newsroom today wondered about the doorknob and, in a cultural jinx moment, three others (including me) all brought up The Wire at the same time.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's "hanged." It's always been "hanged." It's a stylebook imperative at its finest.

Anyone who uses "hung" instead hasn't read a stylebook. Shame, shame, shame. :cool: Read the rules, youngsters!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That’s how Spade, Williams, etc. were described until they committed suicide.

6. Slacker

Damn, that's a good post.

You’re murdering that kid without actually doing it. ... That right there.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fair point. But saying she “murdered” the kid seems a bit much, no?

Whatever Spade’s demons were, they didn’t come from a parental suicide. Same for Robin Williams. Without dismissing or diminishing the devastating emotional toll this will take, I’m failing to see why this child is doomed to death because Spade took her own life.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I’m just saying it’s really, really hard to tell what lurks in someone’s mind, regardless of their relative success.

Iron_chet likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Some people do a very good job of disguising it from everyone else. Some people don't, so some people assume you have to show signs.

I've worked with people who had to take off work for depression/anxiety or other conditions. I've dated someone with it before and dated someone whose mother tried to take their own life.

It's more common than you think.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They were. Their suicides don't change the fact that they were successful and productive during their lives.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Right, but not the point I was making. That point is a few posts up.

12. Slacker

Not killing the daughter in a literal sense. But she's 13. What are the next 10, 20 years like after Mom hangs herself?

Draft saved Draft deleted