1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kate Spade commits suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jun 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Pictured: L-R: Andy Spade, a Cox, a dick, and Mrs. Spade

[​IMG]

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A. Dick.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If you would have told me 3 years ago that Lange and Dick would still be walking the earth, I wouldn't have believed you.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Merriam-Webster doesn't mess around with niceties when it comes to this.

Songbird likes this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

They keep saying "apparent" so I guess the police have not finished.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Just gruesome. First heard of someone hanging from a doorknob when the suicide is faked in an episode of The Wire.

JC likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Chris Cornell hung himself with an exercise band draped over the door, so maybe something like that? I don’t know. Suicide makes me unreasonably angry and irrational when children are involved. You’re murdering that kid without actually doing it. I’m sure more will come to light, especially with the husband in the apartment at the time, but all I can focus on is the daughter and the useless suicide note absolving her of responsibility. I know depression is a dark illness, a disease, and she was obviously suffering from mental illness. My gf’s father hung himself five years ago and the impact is incalcuable. Some of the most random things trigger her memories and associations and it’s like negotiating a minefield at times.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, over the door. Just about every doorknob in this house, for example, is around waist level.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Waist level for you. But how tall was she?

As long as the doorknob is high enough to keep the victim’s ass off the ground, it’s doable.

11. Spade's sister says she had dealing with mental illness for years and was obsessed with suicide after Robin Williams death.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I know a bunch of people whose parents committed suicide (one was a murder/suicide) and it was by no means a death knell for the children.

The father of three guys I went to school with committed suicide by drowning himself in the family pool when we were teenagers (the oldest was a high school senior and found the father face down in the pool. The youngest was in eighth grade). They've all gone on to become successful and productive members of the community.

The father of two girls I worked with as a teenager shot himself. One is now a restaurant owner, wife and mother of two, and the other is a successful portrait photographer.

The father of one of my groomsmen killed his wife, then himself (knife, IIRC) when my buddy was an adolescent. He's a recovering alcoholic, but he's also married with two kids and is an immensely talented carpenter/woodworker.

The deaths of their parents affected every single one of them, and I don't doubt they all still think about it. But kids are fucking resilient.

Draft saved Draft deleted