1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Karr DNA doesn't match crime scene sample

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

From MSNBC.com (via KUSA-TV)

No link yet.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Am I the only one who doesn't care?

I mean this is nothing against you Freelance, and I know there's been a vomit load of media hype around this, but I really don't see why this is a big deal. I don't see why this was a big deal in the first place. It should have never been a big deal.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This case was just the first of the big wave of pretty white girls/women who were murdered or disappeared that Nancy Grace and the rest of the idiot TV media jumped on as stories, even though they were regional stories at best. I've never gotten the obsession with these cases. It's bizarre.

4. Freelance Hack

Not offended Headbutt, and I agree with you in a way. This case has been blown way out of proportion, even though it involved a child.

Still, I think evidence that could proclaim their innocence should be presented with as much vigor as their arrest.

Also, here's a link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14553130/

5. Flying Headbutt

Freelance, the problem for me is the vigor that went into the story in the first place. It was simply misplaced when there are infinitely more stories deserving even a fraction of the attention. May polio strike those who continue to push this non-story down our throats at the expense of stories that truly matter.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

WIOD radio confirms!

7. Freelance Hack

As I said, I agree this case has been blown way out of proportion and it (along with OJ) helped create the current tabloid news environment.

But what gets me more than the shock (or schlock?) coverage of the Ramsey case is the treatment some people receive when they are arrested. It's usually front page news when there's an arrest, but how often are dismissals front page news or lead stories?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have some serious issues with how former suspects are treated after they're cleared, FH. I think that if you blow out the arrest, you sure as hell oughta give the same treatment to the story when the former suspect is cleared.

I guess somebody being not guilty doesn't sell as many papers though. Pisses me off on sooo many levels.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Didn't Karr warn the cops that the DNA might not match?

And now Denver TV reports he won't be charged...

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_240154509.html

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Publicity aside, though, why was all the effort and money spent to bring this guy back from Thailand?

It seemed pretty clear early on that he was a nut job.

Unless there is something going on that we don't know about, sounds like the cops have wasted a bunch of money messing with this guy.

11. Flying Headbutt

I get what you guys are saying, and you're right about that. I just wish that at the time a story is starting to take off, more and more journalists and editors and producers and the like would stop and ask why people are talking about a particular story. Too often, it seems that the answer is just because other people are talking about it. And I guess in some cases that answer could be good enough. But in a lot of case it shouldn't be.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

The only reason this is a big deal to me is because we have a clearly deranged individual, who should have been put away for being a pedophile a long time ago, confessing to a crime he didn't commit. If I though he was guilty, I never would have paid as much attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted