1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Karl Rove: Atheist?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, May 6, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think that believing in God is the same as having faith in God.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Ineresting point Ace.

I heard someone compare people sitting in pews to people playing "Deal or No Deal." They're supposed to believe that the case they have has the million dollars, but when put to the test, they'll trade that case.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

1) This is news? To me, re Rove, it's WhoGAS. Of equal importance to U.S. political thought: The City of Boryeong is perhaps best known for its annual mud festival and mud cosmetics.
    2) Should evangelical Christians be without representation in the two major parties? It seems to me that both Barrack Obama and Hillary Clinton have made a bid for their vote. Shouldn't they?
    3) If you don't like hypocrisy in politics, you don't like politics.
    [OK, broke my promise to stay clear of this crap until I have 500 posts. I'm now going to shoot for 1,000 before my next foray into the art of the possible.]

4. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

If true, I don't know why this is so alarming or surprising.

Politics is the art of pandering.

Would it be better if Rove actually believed that the world was created in six days 6,000 years ago? Would that make him a more palatable figure? I don't see how. Are many Republicans happy to use evangelicals and fundamentalists to achieve their goals? Of course, why shouldn't they be?

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No. They aren't a state. They should not get to have representation.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure--God does not believe in Rove.

She has special things planned for him when he buys the farm.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If I'd gotten spanked in the 2006 elections and my guy was hovering at 28 percent approval, I'd have a hard time believing in God.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

But Rove believes in W?

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Editor 1, me 0. (Unless you're deliberately using the sarcasm font this time, which would also work.)

10. Did I miss something?
    Are Kerry and Kennedy excommunicate?
    If they're not, then Chris's point about their relative Catholicism is, well, irrelevant. They can receive the sacraments, partake in the fellowship of the Mass, and be part of the people of God until the church formally says they can't.
    And his points about Rove require that you believe Rove ever speaks in any political context with a modicum of good faith.
    Uh, no.
    Otherwise, who cares? If this story is to prove that the "religious" right in the country is more concerned with its politics than with its religion -- they'll gladly vote for an atheist who says the right things about the womb babies -- and that it therefore is subject to be played for suckers, well, there's no news there.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My Bible says the earth was created in 6,000 years six days ago.

Of course, I'm dyslexic.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Most of the religious right wouldn't give the time of day to an atheist. To even get the support needed to have any sort of base to work with, you have to be known at church and for your moral righteousness. You also have to be willing to slam the "god-less liberals" in places like school board meetings and town hall meetings just to get attention, which then helps build the base from which those sorts of candidates see their political careers rise.

Draft saved Draft deleted