1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kareem wants a statue ...NOW!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, May 18, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Statues -- of anyone -- are silly.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Seriously child, Gretzky did nothing in LA? He is the reason there is hockey in the sun belt. My god.

You thought Kareem spent most of his time in Milwaukee? Do you also think that Jordan spent most of his time with the Wizards? Willie Mays should have had a Mets cap in the hall of fame.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Charlie Simmers moustache

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I lean Dionne, but I'm an old school fan who didn't like the changes that came with Gretzky's arrival.

How 'bout a Rogie statue? Or a tribute to the Triple Crown line?

And SoCal, I'm not one who typically gets too worked up over games.. but that McSorley stick game in the finals may have been the angriest I have ever been over a sporting event.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Petros Papadekis said the statue thing has more to do with athlete's ties to AEG than anything else.

But I'm kind of getting tired of the statue thing. It should be like the hall of fame - you have to wait 10 years before putting anything in bronze.

An interesting thread topic though. Pick a city or team and if you're going to put one statue out front, who do you pick?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

especially negroes.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The hell he don't! LISTEN KID! He's been hearing that crap ever since he was at UCLA. He was out there busting his buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Who would they put up for a Clippers statue? Eric Piatkowski?

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Rogie was my favorite King. But forget Simmer's moustache, how about a statue of his ex-wife: Terri Welles, my favorite all-time Playmate of the Year.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Indeed, it would fit nicely beside this (The Bronze Fonz):

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I saw Henry Winkler on a reverse mortgage commercial for seniors this week and began thinking the May 21 folks had a point.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think his reputation for being standoffish hurts him more than the pot arrests.

Draft saved Draft deleted