1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kareem wants a statue ...NOW!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, May 18, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

All true.

It has definitely hurt his legacy, which is a real shame, because he should be in the conversation as one of the best of all-time.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If there's a playground, and you pick Kobe ahead of Kareem, your team just got closer to being seriously fucked. That's no criticism of Bryant, an all-time great. But Kareem is one of history's top five, maybe four.

3. Bubbler

This article seriously pissed me off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-8497139

I'm tired of the oft-repeated mantra that Magic won all of those titles for Kareem.

Guess what? Magic never won a title without Kareem. Nor did Oscar Robertson. They both needed a dominant center to be part of a championship team.

Of course, Kareem needed them too, but the argument always seems to be approached from the other direction. Kareem is never given the benefit of being the foundation upon which those guards could do their thing.

4. Bubbler

Good story from Michael Hunt of the J-S on Kareem the other day ...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/bucks/121842144.html

Glad to read that Kareem has embraced his time with the Bucks because he hasn't always felt that way. His legacy was cemented as a Laker, but his best and most dominant years were in Milwaukee.

Semi-related, my late mother told me when I was a kid that she got Kareem's autograph when she was a student at UW-Milwaukee. Said he was very stand-offish about it, but he did sign.

A few years ago when I visited my dad's place, I was rummaging through a chest full of old momentos and I found it. He actually signed as "Lew Alcindor" so it must have been very early in his Milwaukee days.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

It pisses me off because it links to the ESPN article. There's such a shortage of original content on the internet, so when there is something that sparks discussion, can't we at least give proper credit to the journalist who does the legwork?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did Kareem commit multiple murders I haven't heard about? Because he'd have to do a lot to be less forgivable than a rapist pig.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

+5.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I did some googling and all I could find is 3 incidents (i believe 1998, 2006, 2009) when he got pinched for driving under the influence of Mary Jane. Some of the stories also say he claimed he was smoking for "medicinal" reasons (migraines).

Doesn't rank him very high on the OJ/Carruth Scale.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I don't give a shit one way or the other on the topic, just for the sake of accuracy:
    1993 Stanley Cup Final
    Game 1 -- Kings, 4-1 (at Montreal)
    Game 2 -- Canadiens, 3-2, OT (at Montreal, Kings win if McSorley has a legal stick)
    Game 3 -- Canadiens, 4-3, OT (at Inglewood)
    Game 4 -- Canadiens, 3-2, OT (at Inglewood)
    Game 5 -- Canadiens, 4-1 (at Montreal)

Gretzky's team hardly got blown off the ice. Bring some facts next time.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's all I remembered too but checked Wikipedia to make sure.

I'll bet you if you asked 10 legitimate sports fans to ID what Kareem Abdul Jabbar was arrested for, 10 would say "He got arrested?"

11. Bubbler

Shouldn't Marcel Dionne have a statue instead of Gretzky?

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Robitaille, probably.

Draft saved Draft deleted