1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kareem Hunt Brutalizes and Kicks Woman in Hotel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Nov 30, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This may be a threadjack but whatever sins the NFL commits (and they are abundant) every time I watch college sports it bothers me that I see a stadium/arena full of paying fans and a coach making four million dollars a year while the players get whatever they get under the table. Walter Byers called it " a plantation mentality" and I agree.

So I will stick to pro sports.

qtlaw likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

For me, it even goes back to college sports. I enjoy watching Texas Tech football, but I'm not sitting in my ez chair or at the game yelling and screaming. Its not like it used to be. The coaches dont seem to care whether they win or lose, therefore the players don't, so why should the fans don't. It may be a little different for me because I have been an official for over 25 years. Baseball, Basketball, Football.
    As an official, you dont have a dog in the fight. It is of no consequence to you who wins or loses. It amazes my wife when we watch a game together. I can sit there quietly drinking my beer and can go a full game without muttering much of anything. You may get a "RUN YOU SON OF A BITCH RUN!" or a "THROW THE FUCKING FOOTBALL PLEASE!" but thats about the extent of it.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, but as an official are you yelling "THE LINE JUDGE MISSED THE SPOT" or "THAT PITCH WAS COMPLETELY OUT OF THE ZONE" or "HOW DID HE MISS THAT TRAVEL?"

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not very often.
    If I'm at a game watching it, I don't say a word.
    There was a game we were doing a few weeks ago. The five of us got to the field early and were watching the second half of the game before we worked.
    There was a call that was blatantly missed. The 5 of us looked at each other simultaneously, and not one peep was said.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm so quiet when I watch the Steelers, especially games like Sunday with killer errors by both the team and the officials. o_O

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

When the blatant false start was missed Sunday Night, I sent out a group text to my reffing crew that said "Good Lord"

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What makes you think they don't care?

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If you pay attention to the coaches....they're so matter of fact about everything. And maybe not caring isn't the right phrasing, but from the outside, it doesn't look like anyone cares about anything anymore.
    Whatever happened to a coach lighting up a player on the sidelines?
    Whatever happened to a player lighting up another player? It doesn't hurt to climb in someone's ass from time to time.
    Some of these coaches get drummed by 30, and they're just there. No emotion. No nothing. Good Heavens, light someone up.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sorry, this is ridiculous. There livelihoods depend on results and somehow you think they don't care?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I responded with my usual calm and good humor. Honest. Really.

(Nobody's buying that, huh?)

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

20 more All Pros get waived, and the Redskins could have a pretty good team...

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not getting into an argument whether or not coaches care. I believe they do. But I am not buying that anyone's livelihood depends on games being won or lost. Professional coaches and Power 5 NCAA coaches make seven figures with hefty buyouts that would make Goldman Sachs execs jealous.

Draft saved Draft deleted