1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas Religious School Bars Female Referee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Let them fingerpaint their own agate.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did you forget the blue font on this one, Fen?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think the parents send Little Johnny to this school because of its stance. I think kids can adapt to things easier than adults can. In this case, if the kids complain long and loud enough, perhaps St. Marys will change its beliefs on female refs.

I humbly bow to your brilliance.

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

By all means, Kansas State High School Activities Association, remove St. Mary's from the approved school list.

5. When I read the story my first question was: Do they employ female teachers?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Dammit, you're right! How did I miss that? :-[

7. The Texas game?

8. billikens

billikens Member

Don't feel bad, I missed the apostrophe too and it (the public school) was part of my beat for a year.

Of course, it took at least two basketball games in the St. John gym before I realized it was a public school. So it would appear I'm a little slow.

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think the Topeka CJ covers the crazy St. Mary's. Most papers I knew of in Kansas didn't cover schools that aren't a KSHAA member.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes. Either the editor and/or publisher backs my decision or I walk. Simple as that.

I couldn't possibly support giving any group like this coverage. If they're so controlling that they won't allow a female referee, they wouldn't possibly endure much of any other criticism. There are public schools and plenty of other programs and people which the readership can learn about.

Let a religious publication take the calls and agate.

10. They get one chance.
    I send a female reporter and demand equal access.
    Say no, and ask jeebus to cover your damn games.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The thing that would make me sick is if the school tried to hide behind the First Amendment with the whole "free exercise thereof" line.

I'd love to see that school lose its accreditation for that stunt.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Actually, he's spot on. One of my closest friends lives near Lawrence, Kan. They are a speck of blue in a very red state.

Draft saved Draft deleted