1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas Religious School Bars Female Referee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Feb 13, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

St. Mary's Academy, a school near Topeka, Ks. refused to allow a female referee to officiate a boys basketball game, citing "the academy’s beliefs"

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

really? what year is it anyway?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, this is the kind of shit that pisses me off even more than the abuse scandal -- which is more the fault of corrupt individuals covering their own asses than an indictment of an organized religion, IMO. But this shit is misogyny hiding behind so-called religious beliefs, and it goes on all the time. Fuck any religion -- including that one, in which I was raised -- that condones that kind of institutional misogyny. Fuck 'em.

A distortion of everything Jesus taught and believed, and that Christianity is supposed to be about.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

So, what's the problem?

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I wonder if the school considers themselves to be "radical traditionalist Catholics." Many of those groups have actually been excommunicated by the Vatican, though mostly for their anti-Semitism.

Unfortunately, I can't see these people being excommunicated.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well, the story said the archbishop they followed had been excommunicated. I'm guess the Catholics don't acknowledge these guys.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I bet it's not a Catholic school at all.

It's a Muslim school.

Where the hell is Hondo when you need him?

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Ok, right, I would hope they aren't recognized. I've just never heard of the Society of St. Pius X, so I'm just wondering if they consider themselves to be part of that "radical traditionalist" group.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Not only should the KSHSAA ban St. Mary's from playing other schools next season, it should suspend the program for the remainder of the season.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just drop that bombshell of punishment on the kids because the adults in the school are morons?

11. Lefevbre was excommunicated by Paul VI for refusing to acknowledge the changes brought by Vatican II and for persisting in it after being told to stop, and for insulting and ridiculing the pope in the bargain. The sticking point is that John Paul II -- who, for all his gifts as a statesman, was a theological reactionary -- reached out to Lefevbre's people and gave them a wink and a nod.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, no shit. i just moved away from the midwest. who knew i was leaving something that was oh, so right?

Draft saved Draft deleted